Indiana: Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers
Page 8 of 43 — Showing results 71 to 80 of 430
100 yards south, Harrison's Army crossed the Big Vermillion at sunrise, having just built Boyd's Blockhouse, enroute to the Prophet's Town at the mouth of the Tippecanoe to disperse the Indians there assembled.
County commissioners ordered (1873) to replace unsafe bridge over Big Vermillion River at Eugene. Built 1873 by Joseph J. Daniels, Rockville: Burr truss design, 180 foot span, using existing abutments. Closed to vehicle traffic, 1974. Listed in National Reg…
Fountain Park has been the site of annual Chautauqua sessions since 1895. The Chautauqua continues to promote traditional values and religious, social and educaitonal activities upon which it was founded.
Pavilion was built 1913 by Edgar Jerome (1862-1942) of Rockville. He used wooden bridge building techniques in timber framing which supports entire structure. It was designed to seat 3,000 people under its roof. Repairs made 1976-1978 and 1992. Listed in Na…
Site of house reputed to be a stop on the "Underground Railroad." Reconstructed cabin, which was portion of house owned by John Allen Speed, now located on grounds of lane Mansion. Speed, active in abolitionist movement, was Mayor of Crawfordsville, 1868 - …
Home of Henry S. Lane (1811-81), Congressman, Governor, and Civil War senator. Chairman of the first Republican National Convention, 1856, he was a strong supporter of Lincoln and the Union.
Chief Peter Cornstalk's village of Snakefish (Eel River) tribe of Miami Indians was located three miles from here along Cornstalk Creek. Wigwams and Indian furial ground were near the little Harshbarger family cemetery. The Indians lived at peace with settl…
One-quarter mile south of this marker is the home of General Solomon A. Meredith, Iron Brigade Commander at Gettysburg. Born in North Carolina, Meredith was an Indiana political leader and post-war Surveyor-General of Montana Territory.
(Front Side): Levi Coffin (1798-1877), a Quaker abolitionist, lived in Newport (now Fountain City) with his family 1826-1847. Moved from North Carolina because he and his wife, Catharine, opposed slavery. Advocated, and sold in his store, free-labor product…
Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church of Indianapolis was located here at 231 North West Street from 1919-1959. The Church, incorporated 1910, now located at 4011 North Pennsylvania Street, has also preserved customs and language of extensive Greek community.