Indiana: Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers
Page 7 of 43 — Showing results 61 to 70 of 430
Built in 1827 by Federal Government on 36-section reservation for $562; later destroyed by "great wind." Papakeecha (Flat Belly) was a Miami leader, 1820 to his death in 1837, shortly before the Miami removal.
Civil War training camp for the then 10th Congressional District was located at Kendallville. The 12th Indiana Cavalry and the 129th Volunteer Infantry were organized and trained here.
Noble County formed by General Assembly 1836, named after James Noble first US Senator from Indiana. County seats Sparta 1836, Augusta, 1837, Port Mitchell 1844. Center later named Albion selected 1846 as county seat in runoff election. Arrival of railroad …
Settled in 1834 as Willow Prairie.
Village of Brockville - Platted in 1837.
Post Office and town changed to Fremont in 1848 in honor of John C. Fremont "the Great Pathfinder." Located on the Vistula Trail, the meeting place for people from the Detroi…
Little Ned Garland, son of the first family to settle in Indiana North of the 10 O'clock Line, is said to have named the stream below this cliff because wild turkeys roosted in trees within this chasm.
This Museum Building built in 1839 first used as a seminary; an armory during the Civil War, a school for negro children from 1873-1924, later a gas station, a restaurant, and gift shop.Purchased in 1975 by Parke Co. Historical Society.
The Wabash & Erie was the longest canal built in North America, running from Toledo to Evansville. Montezuma was the main port of Parke County. This portion was abandoned about 1865.
Hillsdale platted 1872. Railroads were instrumental in town's development. Businesses located near depot at base of hill; residential areas were built on side and top of hill. Concrete steps were constructed 1903 by John H. Self to facilitate access to town…
Side One First county jail built 1828 of logs at southwest corner of court-house lawn. Second jail built 1836 of brick. Third jail and sheriff's residence built 1868 of brick in Italianate Style. This 1868 structure became sheriff's residence only, when jai…
County commissioners ordered (1885) as link across Little Vermillion River at Newport & Quaker Point Free Gravel Road. Built 1885 by Joseph J. Daniels, Rockville: Burr truss design, 180 foot span, sandstone abutments. Floor replaced, 1984. Listed in Nationa…