Indiana: Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers
Page 5 of 43 — Showing results 41 to 50 of 430
General Robert H. Milroy, 1816-1890, was appointed colonel of the 9th Indiana Infantry, later promoted to brigadier and major general. He saw extensive action in western Virginia. After the war he served as Indiana agent in State of Washington.
Here on the evening of April 4, 1968, Kennedy came to address a large crowd of mostly African Americans in his bid for Democratic Party nomination for president of U.S. Instead, visibly shaken, he gave an impromptu speech about the assassination of Martin L…
(Side One) Residential district bounded by Main, East, Cross, and Marion streets. Nineteenth and early twentieth century homes reflect social and economic diversity of residents, including town's prominent citizens. Listed in National Register of Historic P…
(Side one):At May 1902 meeting newly-formed Library Board authorized lot purchase and tax levy to support a public library as required by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie for funding. Designed by S. C. Dark of Indianapolis in Classical Revival Style; built 19…
Organized 1876 at Ladoga as second private Indiana normal school specializing in teacher training. Based on Alfred Holbrook's techniques at his normal college in Lebanon, Ohio which pioneered teacher training in America. Central Normal College was moved 187…
Hamilton County formed 1823. Noblesville platted 1823, selected county seat 1824, incorporated 1851. Located east of downtown commercial area; boundaries are Conner and Logan streets (east and west) and 10th and 17th streets (north and south). Listed in Nat…
(East-west boundary at this point.) The boundaries between Indiana and Michigan territories was established on June 30, 1805. Just before Indiana became a state in 1816, the line was moved ten miles north to provide frontage on Lake Michigan.
Wabash and Erie Canal lock was discovered here June 1991 during excavation for highway construction. It was built 1838-1840 by Henry Lotz and named for lock keeper Joseph Gronauer. The rare, well-preserved timber-frame design lock measured 115 by 40 feet; l…
Residence of Oliver P. Morton, Governor of Indiana during the crucial years of the American Civil War, 1861-65. U.S. Senator, 1867-77. Morton was the first native-born governor of Indiana.
Indiana's first art pottery, a nationally-recognized product of the American Arts and Crafts Movement, was produced 1911-1955 by the Overbeck sisters. Their 1930s Federal Style house, one block south, was listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1976.