Indiana: Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers
Page 40 of 43 — Showing results 391 to 400 of 429
Adam Kellar began constructing a stone mill race on Sand Creek, 1813, and opened grist mill, 1823. Mill was important to local economy and was an impetus for development: state road to mill established, 1834, and Brewersville founded, 1837. Flatboats carrie…
(Side One)August 12, 1843 Union Church organized as Freewill Baptist church at home of Harvey Marshall. Church covenant states: "We cannot receive slaveholders into the church nor those who believe that slavery is right." First church building completed 185…
Extending from Michigan City to the Ohio River at Madison. Begun by the state in 1832 with funds obtained from sale of land granted by the Potawatomi Indians. Opened northern part of state to settlers.
Mother of President Richard M. Nixon was born on a farm four and a half miles southeast to which her grandparents came in 1854. Hannah's parents moved to California in 1897 when she was twelve years old.
(Side One)Born in Vermont 1804. Moved to Jefferson County 1834, where he owned land and had several manufacturing businesses. Active in Neil's Creek Anti-Slavery Society and in forming Liberty Party for abolition of slavery. He and his family supported Eleu…
(Side One)The Tibbets provided assistance to fugitive slaves here in their home (now part of National Park Service, Network to Freedom); John piloted them to the next safe haven. Both were members of Neil's Creek Anti-Slavery Society and Anti-Slavery Regula…
(Side One)College developed 1854 from Eleutherian Institute, founded 1848. Thomas Craven and anti-slavery advocates in the area created and supported the institution for education of students of all races and genders. This structure, built in the 1850s for …
800 feet northwest is the point which marks the junction of the Grouseland Treaty line of 1805 with the Fort Wayne Treaty line of 1809. These and other treaties permitted early white settlement of Indiana.
Site in town of stockade built in 1812 on old Indian trail for protection of the settlers in this area. Garrisoned by Maj. John Tipton and his militia Rangers in 1813. Marker on the site.
Located 40 rods west of this spot. Est. before 1812. Salem's early settlers are buried here including Brocks, Kemps, Hendersons; also John Zink, a ranger with Col. Dawalt, fatally wounded by Indians after the Pigeon Roost Massacre.