Indiana: Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers
Page 4 of 43 — Showing results 31 to 40 of 429
Built 1927 to serve as the only public high school for Indianapolis' black population. Integrated 1970 under court-ordered desegregation. Converted to junior high, 1986. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1989. Named for patriot of American Rev…
May 11, 1852 - June 4, 1918. Prominent lawyer of Indianapolis; Keynote convention speaker, 1896; United States Senator, 1897-1905; Vice-President of the United States, 1905-1909; and Vice-Presidential candidate in 1916.
1859. Completion of the first building of the Indianapolis City Hospital, forerunner of Marion County General Hospital. Founder of this oldest general hospital in Indiana was Livingston Dunlap, M.D.
1861-1865. The first patients were admitted when the fa…
Born 1798 in Ludlow, Vermont, Fletcher and his wife Sarah came to this newly-named state capital 1821. They lived here 1839-1855 on a 269-acre farm, Wood Lawn, which encompassed most of today's Fletcher Place Historic District. He was active and influential…
Built in 1917, this Neo-Classical, reinforced concrete arch bridge was designed by nationally prominent landscape architect, George Kessler. In 1991 the bridge was named in honor of State Representative Joseph Summers, who served with distinction as a bridg…
Site selected by Lew Wallace as training camp for volunteers on old State Fairgrounds in 1861 and named for Governor Oliver P. Morton. Used as a camp for Confederate prisoners, 1862-65. Col. Richard Owen, Commandant.
Constructed in 1909, the Speedway has contributed significantly to the advancement of automotive technology and development of safety devices. It is unchallenged as the world's oldest continuously operated race course and the site of the largest one-day spo…
Two miles east, on north bank of Twin Lakes, some 800 Potawatomi Indians were collected in August 1838 and forced to begin their long march to new homes in the West. Many perished on the way.
This gracious Italianate home was built c. 1859 by Anson Wolcott, land baron, businessman, attorney, and founder of the town of Wolcott. The plans were drawn by Architect T. Tilly of Chicago. Three generations of the Wolcott family were culturally and polit…
Erected by the Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions with funds from Katharine Drexel and operated by the Society of the Precious Blood with federal funds, 60 Indian boys from distant reservations were annually trained here.