Historical Marker Series

Indiana: Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers

Page 39 of 43 — Showing results 381 to 390 of 429
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1B9B_george-washington-julian_Centerville-IN.html
(Side One)A political leader defined by his moral convictions, Julian (1817-1899) advocated for abolition, equal rights and land reform, during a period marked by slavery, Civil War, monopolies, and discrimination against blacks, immigrants, and women. As U…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1B9C_randolph-county-quakers_Winchester-IN.html
(Side One)When this meeting house was dedicated 1898, membership in Quarterly Meeting of Friends at Winchester was largest in the world. Migration of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) into this area began 1814 with the arrival of families from sout…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1BB0_arthur-l-trester_Amo-IN.html
(Side One)Born 1878 in Pecksburg (which was 2.1 miles east). Elected to Board of Controls of Indiana High School Athletic Association (IHSAA) 1911, appointed Permanent Secretary 1913, continued after 1929 as Commissioner of High School Athletics. Under Tres…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1BB2_samuel-luther-thompson_Danville-IN.html
(Side One)He was born in Danville March 5, 1860 and educated in Danville Graded School. He played for Danville Browns baseball team in 1883 and for Evansville and Indianapolis minor league ball clubs 1884 and 1885. He played for National League Detroit Wolv…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1BC3_highland-park_Lafayette-IN.html
Neighborhood in late-Victorian "landscape garden suburb" style, designed by Cincinnati firm, Earnshaw and Punshon. Platted 1891, 1893. Houses are of a wide variety of architectural styles. Important for this suburban development was 1892 spur on existing 18…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1BCD_portland-mills-covered-bridge_Waveland-IN.html
Built 1856 by Henry Wolfe to Burr arch truss design. Moved here 1961 to replace Dooley Station Bridge. Restored and reopened 1996. Horizontal yellow poplar siding replaced with pine; oak arches; new cedar shingles; concrete abutments. Listed in National Reg…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1BCF_10-o-clock-line_Rockville-IN.html
The famous Indian Reserve Line of 1809 which began at the mouth of Big Raccoon Creek and ended on the Ohio boundary crossed this point.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1BCG_portland-mills_Greencastle-IN.html
This marker stands on the corner of four Townships on the Parke and Putnam Co. line, once the center of the thriving rural town of Portland Mills.Settled in the early 1800'sCHRISTIAN CHURCHEstablished 1838 - Relocated 1959WATER-POWERED MILLBuilt 1822 - Dest…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1BCI_western-yearly-meeting-house_Plainfield-IN.html
has been the site of annual meeting of Religious Society of Friends since 1858. The Depository was erected to house Quaker records, 1873. Friends Central Academy served as secondary school, 1881-1919.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1COE_buffalo-trace-route_New-Albany-IN.html
American Bison, migrating in great herds, created a cluster of paths along the natural topography between Illinois prairies and salt licks in Kentucky. These paths, called the Buffalo Trace, used by Native Americans and became premier travel route for early…