Historical Marker Series

Indiana: Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers

Page 34 of 43 — Showing results 331 to 340 of 429
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM17CY_site-of-home-of-thomas-andrews-hendricks_Shelbyville-IN.html
Outstanding lawyer; member Indiana legislature; delegate, Second Constitutional Convention, 1850-1851; Indiana Congressman, 1851-1855; United States Senator, 1863-1869; Governor of Indiana, 1873-1877; and Vice-President of the United States, 1885.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM17CZ_charles-c-deam_Bluffton-IN.html
(Front Side)Born 1865 near Bluffton; died 1953. Resided most of his life on land south of here where house, study, and arboretum located. A Bluffton druggist, he was avid collector of botanical specimens throughout the state 1890s - 1920s. Documented import…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM17D0_geneva-downtown-historic-district_Geneva-IN.html
(Front Side)Adams County formed 1835. Geneva incorporation 1874 included early towns Alexander and Buffalo. During 1890s oil boom, population and businesses grew. Fire destroyed much of town 1895; Geneva Board of Trustees banned wooden buildings, mandated s…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM17D1_godfroy-reserve_Montpelier-IN.html
Reserved by U.S. to Chief Francois Godfroy of the Miami National of Indians by treaty at St. Mary's, Ohio, 6 October 1818, 3,840 acres on Salamonie River at La Petite Prairie, Harrison Township, Blackford County; reserve lands sold 1827, 1836.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM17D2_de-witt-pioneer-home_Shelbyville-IN.html
Peter De Witt erected on this site in 1821 the first home in what is now Union Township, Shelby County.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM17FW_cambridge-city_Cambridge-City-IN.html
A transportation center, platted 1836 along the Whitewater River, the Cumberland/National Road, and the Whitewater Canal route. Four steam railroads served the town; interurban electric railroad opened 1903. Cambridge City Historic District listed in Nation…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM17G0_state-capitol_Indianapolis-IN.html
State capital was moved to Indianapolis, 1825, from Corydon. The capital built on this site in 1835 was razed in 1878 to make way for this State House, completed in 1888.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM17J9_mishawaka-high-school_Mishawaka-IN.html
Mishawaka's first public high school was opened in 1874 with an enrollment of sixty students. Accredited in 1876, the school graduated its first class in June, 1878. The original building was a three-story red brick structure at First and Hill streets. In 1…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM17KR_st-johns-lutheran-church_Gary-IN.html
St. John's Church, the oldest surviving institution in Gary and north of the Little Calumet River, began with the work of the Rev. Henry Wunder in the early 1860's. He regularly came from Chicago by horse and buggy. Baptism records date from 1863; the first…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM17KS_dutch-in-the-calumet-region_Highland-IN.html
Dutch immigrants after 1850 began moving to this area because of its similarities to their homeland. They helped to locate ditches to drain water from the extensive marshes, leaving rich land to expand successful horticultural activities.
PAGE 34 OF 43