Historical Marker Series

Indiana: Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers

Page 32 of 43 — Showing results 311 to 320 of 430
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM15ZY_dodge-manufacturing-company_Mishawaka-IN.html
Wallace H. Dodge (1849-1894) founded company 1878; made wood products; moved to this site 1880. Patented wood split pulley 1882, revolutionary for standardized, interchangeable parts. Its innovative products have led to advances in power transmission and co…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM15ZZ_the-mishawaka-academic-and-normal-institute_Mishawaka-IN.html
Opposite the south end of Main Street at 4th Street stood the two-storied, red brick Institute Building, where the Mishawaka Academic and Normal Institute classes were held. This was a Free school for Mishawaka children and a Select school for advanced stud…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1600_normain-heights-subdivision_Mishawaka-IN.html
Veterans' Homes of Mishawaka, Inc., founded by veterans, 1946, built (1947-1949) to counter housing shortage after World War II. 315 houses built on battle-named streets to seven designs; innovative features: aluminum siding, complete kitchen and bath, cent…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1601_battell-park_Mishawaka-IN.html
Mishawaka's oldest park, circa 1860s; given to city (1881) by members of Battell family. Features include Civil War soldiers monument (1884); neoclassical copper-domed, brick and limestone bandshell commemorating WWI (1927); exceptional Works Progress Admin…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM162A_porter-rea-cemetery_South-Bend-IN.html
(Front Side)This cemetery was officially created September 6, 1854 when Samuel Gard deeded land to trustees for a burial ground. Free African-American settlers from Huggart Settlement were buried here alongside their white neighbors, not segregated. Porter …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM162B_huggart-settlement_Lakeville-IN.html
First land purchased by Huggart brothers in 1834; area settled and farmed by their families and several other African-American households circa 1850-1890s. Settlement families attended nearby schools and churches and worked with neighbors in surrounding are…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM16KI_nappanee-furniture_Nappanee-IN.html
Side one:Nappanee platted 1874 on Baltimore & Ohio Railroad line. Sawmill opened 1873 produced ties for railroad construction. Coppes and Mutschler brothers were partners in lumber, milling, and furniture business, 1902-1913, becoming significant part of lo…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM16VT_house-of-chief-richardville_Peru-IN.html
Jean Baptiste Richardville (1761-1841) was principal chief of the Miami Tribe from 1812 to 1841. He signed six treaties with the United States ceding Miami land in Indiana. This house was built for him under one of the treaties.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM17CD_lowell-mills_Columbus-IN.html
From 1830 to 1880 the community of Lowell Mills thrived here along Driftwood River. There were two grist mills, a cooperage, a shoemaker's shop, a distillery, a saw mill, a woolen mill, an inn and general store. When the mills closed, the town was abandoned.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM17CF_slickville-tile-works_Gaston-IN.html
Site of production mill and three beehive kilns, first fueled by wood and then by natural gas, circa 1883-1910, owned & operated by Manassa Myers, Sr. family. Produced drainage tiles (hollow cylinder-shaped sections) from adjacent clay pit for local use. Dr…
PAGE 32 OF 43