Historical Marker Series

Indiana: Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers

Page 31 of 43 — Showing results 301 to 310 of 430
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM15JD_miami-indian-mills_Wabash-IN.html
This millstone is a remnant of the grist and saw mills built near here for Miami Indians by United States government as part of 1818 Treaty of St. Mary's. Treaty also established several Miami reservations in area. Possibly first industrial site in what bec…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM15JE_wabash-erie-canal-lock-4_Roanoke-IN.html
First lock west of summit level of Wabash and Erie Canal (connected Lake Erie with Ohio River in 1853). Known as Dickey Lock. Built as Lock 1, 1834-1835, of wood construction; renumbered Lock 4 as result of canal completion to Ohio line (1840). Remnants of …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM15JF_kiilhsoohkwa-kilsoquah_Roanoke-IN.html
(Front Side)Born 1810 in what is now Huntington County. She was a granddaughter of Miami Chief Little Turtle. Her second husband was Antoine Revarre; her son Anthony Revarre, lived with her near Roanoke and acted as interpreter since she spoke only Miami. M…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM15JG_st-patricks-roman-catholic-church_Lagro-IN.html
(Front Side)Congregation founded 1836, serving Irish who immigrated to area to work on construction of Wabash and Erie Canal, 1834-1837. Many Irish bought land and stayed as permanent residents using their religious and cultural interests to build Lagro, or…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM15JV_frances-slocum_Wabash-IN.html
Captured as a child by the Delaware Indians in 1778 from her Pennsylvania home, she grew up with the Indians, married a Miami chief, and lived in Indiana till her death, 1847.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM15SO_indianas-northern-boundary-line_Fremont-IN.html
(Front Side)Indiana admitted by the U.S. Congress as nineteenth state 1816. Enabling Act moved northern boundary ten miles north of southernmost tip of Lake Michigan providing direct access to the lake. Boundary first surveyed 1817 by William Harris. Bounda…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM15XW_burial-place-of-francis-godfroy_Peru-IN.html
Francis Godfroy (1788-1840) was last war chief of the Miami Nation. Owner Mount Pleasant trading post and one of the wealthiest and most influential merchants in the West. Burials in cemetery are restricted to persons of Native American ancestry and their f…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM15XY_pioneer-medical-doctors-chase-s-osborn_La-Fontaine-IN.html
(Side 1) Pioneer Medical Doctors. George A. Osborn, 1823-1902, Margaret Osborn, 1827-1914, Parents of Chase S. Osborn. The mother launched upon active practice here 1860. The father practiced in Ohio before 1850. (Side 2) Chase S. Osborn. Naturalist, "Ir…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM15Z5_la-salles-camp_South-Bend-IN.html
Site of La Salle's camp, 1679, on portage between St. Joseph and Kankakee rivers. La Salle was the first white man to enter Indiana, passing here again in 1681.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM15Z6_site-of-home-of-schuyler-colfax_South-Bend-IN.html
Prominent newspaperman andpolitical leader;member of Congress, 1855-1869;Speaker, House of Representatives,1863-1869; andVice-President of the United States,1869-1873.
PAGE 31 OF 43