Historical Marker Series

Indiana: Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers

Page 3 of 43 — Showing results 21 to 30 of 430
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMF0_sisters-of-the-holy-cross_Granger-IN.html
1861-1865. In response to Governor Morton's call of October 1861, eighty Sisters of the Holy Cross under the leadership of Mother Angela served as military nurses. The Sisters became the forerunners of the Navy Nurse Corps in 1862 when they boarded the Red …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMFY_mary-bryan-pioneer-woman_Southport-IN.html
Mary Bryan, one of the first American women to cross the Cumberland Mountains (c. 1776), is buried here with Samuel, her husband, a Revolutionary War veteran, who settled in Perry Township in 1830.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMJ0_lockerbie-square_Indianapolis-IN.html
Side one:This historic neighborhood was originally platted in 1847 and 1850. Its name was derived from Lockerbie Street, which was named after George M. Lockerbie, an early Indianapolis resident. James Whitcomb Riley, who resided on Lockerbie Street 1893-19…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMJ1_bates-hendricks-house_Indianapolis-IN.html
Combines two nineteenth-century architectural styles. Built 1850s-1860 in Italianate Style. Later additions in Second Empire Style. Owners included Hervey Bates, Sr., first Marion County sheriff, Thomas A. Hendricks, U.S. vice president, and John Coburn, U.…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMJ2_indiana-federation-of-colored-womens-clubs_Indianapolis-IN.html
Organized 1904 by Lillian Thomas Fox with 14 clubs. Affiliated with National Association of Colored Women's Clubs, founded 1896. Objectives include improvement of education, health, living standards, inter-racial understanding. Clubhouse at 2034 N. Capitol …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMJ3_1907-indiana-eugenics-law_Indianapolis-IN.html
[Marker Front]:By late 1800s, Indiana authorities believed criminality, mental problems, and pauperism were hereditary. Various laws were enacted based on this belief. In 1907, Governor J. Frank Hanly approved first state eugenics law making sterilization m…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMJ7_john-freeman_Indianapolis-IN.html
In 1844, John Freeman, a free black, purchased land in Indianapolis. By 1853, he owned land in this area worth $6,000. In June 1853, a slaveholder claimed Freeman was his runaway slave. Freeman spent nine weeks in jail; he hired lawyers; claim was dismissed…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMJC_holy-rosary-danish-church-historic-district_Indianapolis-IN.html
Platted 1854; now bounded by South East Street, Virginia Avenue, and interstates 65/70. Early residents were Germans, Irish, Scots, and Welsh. Danes resided in area circa 1870-1890. By 1910, ninety percent of area residents were Italian immigrants. Area …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMJH_widows-and-orphans-friends-society_Indianapolis-IN.html
Society created by Indianapolis Benevolent Society 1849 to provide relief for indigent widows and orphans; incorporated 1851 by Indiana General Assembly. Opened its first orphanage on this site 1855. White House Conference in 1909 focused attention on, and …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMJJ_28th-regiment-usct_Indianapolis-IN.html
Indiana's only African-American Civil War regiment served as part of the 28th Regiment of U.S. Colored Troops. African-American infantry was authorized in 1863 to help fill federal quota for soldiers. The Reverend Willis Revels was recruiting officer. Recru…
PAGE 3 OF 43