Historical Marker Series

Indiana: Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers

Page 2 of 43 — Showing results 11 to 20 of 430
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMA0_paradise-spring-treaty-ground_Wabash-IN.html
At treaty ground (two blocks east) in October, 1826, Potawatomi and Miami tribes signed treaties with the United States ceding lands north of the Wabash River. The treaties included provisions for land for a canal and the Michigan Road.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMAU_battle-of-mississinewa_Marion-IN.html
Two miles west. Site of battle fought Dec. 18, 1812, in which British-allied Miami Indians were defeated by U.S. troops and Militia under Col. John Campbell.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMAX_new-purchase-boundary_Marion-IN.html
In October 1818, Purchasing Commissioners Lewis Cass, Benjamin Parke and Governor Jonathan Jennings acquired Indian claims on the land shown on this marker. About one-third of modern Indiana was involved in this transaction.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMAZ_former-narrow-gauge-railroad_Marion-IN.html
Tracklayers building narrow gauge railroad connecting Great Lakes at Toledo, Ohio, with Mississippi River reached this point October 1, 1880. In 1887, 2,000 men converted 206 miles of this to standard gauge railroad in 11 hours. A significant part of Ame…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMB0_miami-indian-cemetery_Marion-IN.html
The largest Indian cemetery in Indiana. Few graves are marked. The Indians buried here are largely descendants of Chief Metocinya and include Meshingomesia and his family. The first burial was probably in 1873. Burial was contrary to Indian tradition and re…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMBA_remington-water-tower_Remington-IN.html
Built 1897 by Challenge Wind and Feed Mill Company of Batavia, Illinois. Rare tower and wood tank structure is an original example of nineteenth century public water utility facility, construction methods, and technology. Tower has limestone foundation, is …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMBB_new-purchase-boundary-treaty-of-st-marys_Tipton-IN.html
In October 1818, Purchasing Commissioners Lewis Cass, Benjamin Parke and Governor Jonathan Jennings acquired Indian claims on the land shown on this marker. About one-third of modern Indiana was involved in this transaction.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMDZ_site-of-cowen-grove-seminary_Warsaw-IN.html
1851-1876One of the first secondary schools in the area. Built at the call of the Presbyterian Church by Robert Cowen and his wife Jane Cowen Headmistress. A fire of unknown origin burned the Seminary to the ground in December 1879.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HME0_kosciusko-county-jail_Warsaw-IN.html
This third county jail, including a sheriff's residence, was built in 1870 by Richard Epperson. Chicago architect, George O. Garnsey designed it in Neo-Gothic Style. Rusticated stonework and turrets create the appearance of a small castle to provide a sense…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HME2_indianas-glacier-lakes_Warsaw-IN.html
About 14,000 years ago melting blocks of ice from the last, or Wisconsin Glacier, formed the kettle-hole lakes of northern Indiana. The largest lake, Wawasee, and the deepest lake, Tippecanoe, are in Kosciusko County.
PAGE 2 OF 43