Indiana: Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers
Showing results 1 to 10 of 428
In October 1818, Purchasing Commissioners Lewis Cass, Benjamin Parke and Governor Johnathan Jennings acquired Indian claims on the land shown on this marker. About one-third of modern Indiana was involved in this transaction.
In 1824, nine Indians were murdered by white men near this spot. The men were tried, Found guilty and hanged. It was the first execution of white men for killing Indians.
Charles L. Henry's Union Traction Company, the first electric rail line specifically designed for interurban service, began operating through here on January 1, 1898. It ran from Alexandria to Anderson. Indiana became the traction center of the United States.
Here in Callaway Park August 17, 1940, Willkie accepted Republican party presidential nomination after a nationwide grassroots campaign. An estimated crowd of 250,000 was in the park and along adjacent streets. Established campaign headquarters in Rushville…
Born in North Manchester, March 14, 1854, he practiced law in Columbia City until his election as Governor of Indiana (1909-1913). Served two terms as Vice-President (1913-1921). Died June 1, 1925, and was buried in Indianapolis.
After General William Henry Harrison relieved Fort Wayne, he ordered Colonel James Simrall in September 1812 to prevent further Miami Indian attacks in the area. The Miamis fled as troops destroyed villages, crops, and supplies along Eel River; Miamis then …
Little Turtle (Mishikinoqkwa), c. 1747-1812, was born and raised here on the Eel (Kenapocomoco) River. The Miami village was destroyed by American troops in 1812 and most of the tribe was removed from Indiana by 1843.
Here on July 4, 1894, Elwood Haynes made the first test run of an automobile which he designed and built. His car reached a speed of about seven miles per hour over a six mile course on the Pumpkinvine Pike.
Site of 11th Congressional District military camp used to rendezvous, recruit and organize the 75th, 89th, 101st, 118th and 153rd Indiana Regiments during the Civil War.
On March 31, 1880, officials of Wabash began experimenting with Charles F. Brush's carbon-arc lights. Four 3,000 candlepower lamps were placed atop the courthouse and used to illuminate the town until September, 1888.