Historical Marker Series

Antonio de Espejo Entrada of 1582-1583

Showing results 1 to 10 of 15
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM3XA_butterfield-trail-espejos-expedition_Anthony-NM.html
Stagecoaches of the Butterfield Overland Mail Co. began carrying passengers and mail from St. Louis to San Francisco, across southern New Mexico, in 1858. The 2,795-mile journey took 21-22 days. In 1861 the service was re-routed through Salt Lake City. Here…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHI1_fort-davis_Fort-Davis-TX.html
Established by Lieut. Col. Washington Seawell with six companies of the Eighth U.S. Infantry in October 1854 for protecting travelers on the San Antonio-El Paso Road. Named in honor of the then Secretary of War, Jefferson Davis, it was abandoned by federal …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMLXK_pueblo-of-zi_Zia-Pueblo-NM.html
In 1583 Antonio de Espejo recorded this pueblo as one of five in the Province of Puname. Following the sacking of Zia by Spanish troops in 1689, the pueblo was reestablished, but never attained its former size. The Zia ancient sun symbol is incorporated in …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMPFO_espejo-beltran-expedition-1582-1583_San-Elizario-TX.html
Following the Rodriquez-Chamuscado expedition of 1581 there was increased interest in the area now known as New Mexico and Texas. There was also concern for the safety of Fray Rodriquez and Fray Lopez, who had stayed in the area. In 1582 A Franciscan Priest…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMUVH_santa-rosa_Santa-Rosa-NM.html
The Spanish explorer Antonio de Espejo passed through this area in 1583, as did Gaspar Castano de Sosa in 1590. Santa Rosa, the Guadalupe County seat, was laid out on the ranch of Celso Baca y Baca, a politician and rancher in the late 1800s. It was named f…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMUVI_santa-rosa_Santa-Rosa-NM.html
The Spanish explorer Antonio de Espejo passed through this area in 1583, as did Gaspar Casta?o de Sosa in 1590. Santa Rosa, the Guadalupe County seat, was laid out on the ranch of Celso Baca y Baca, a politician and rancher in the late 1800s. It was named f…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM14JZ_san-solomon-spring_Balmorhea-TX.html
Called "Mescalero Spring" in 1849, when watering corn and peaches of the Mescalero Apaches. To Ft. Davis soldiers, 1856, was "Head Spring". Present name given by first permanent settlers, Mexican farmers. Miller, Lyles and Murphy in 1871 began large-scal…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM14K1_wild-rose-pass_Fort-Davis-TX.html
In early days the Indian trail through these mountains followed the gorge below known as Limpia Canyon. To avoid the floods travellers over the San Antonio - El Paso Road, emigrants, U.S. troops and supply trains, and the mail cose this higher pass famed fo…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM14XV_pecos-pueblo-mission_Pecos-NM.html
The largest of the mission churches at Pecos Pueblo, ca. 1625 La Iglesia mas grande de la mission de Pecos, ca. 1625
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM15CL_presidio_Marfa-TX.html
At confluence of Concho andRio Grande Rivers.A settlement for over 10,000 yearsSite offirst recorded wagon traincrossing into TexasDecember 10, 1582Headed by Antonio de Espejo
PAGE 1 OF 2