Historical Marker Series

Florida: Sanford Historic Preservation Board

Showing results 1 to 10 of 20
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMZVA_the-u-s-post-office_Sanford-FL.html
The U.S. Post Office Building was built in 1917 by Algernon Blair of Montgomery, Alabama with James Wetmore serving as the supervising architect. The Post Office opened for business August 1, 1918. It is typical of buildings constructed by the U.S. Governme…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMZVB_the-meisch-building_Sanford-FL.html
When constructed in 1923 the Meisch building was considered a typical example of American commercial architecture. It was designed by W.B. Talley, and built by R.J. Gallespie for the Sanford Investment Co., John Meisch, President. The materials were supplie…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMZYX_the-bishop-block_Sanford-FL.html
Construction began in December 1887 by Captain J.O. Northesag, of New York, for the owner J.N. Bishop. Completion in 1888 made the Bishop Block a significant structure of Sanford's downtown commercial district. It was originally occupied by a milliner, jewe…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMZYY_the-e-e-brady-livery-stable_Sanford-FL.html
Built between 1890 and 1895, this small building originally housed a blacksmith and wagon shop. From 1910 to 1914, E.E. Brady ran a livery, feed, and sales barn here. By 1916 this building was serving as the Seminole County Jail. It later served as the Coun…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMZZ1_the-whalers-saloon_Sanford-FL.html
Finished in 1887, this building was built by Colonel A.M. Thrasher who was President of the Sanford Ice and Cold Storage Company. It originally housed a saloon and a sporting goods store. The Romanesque Revival architecture style is typical of many small…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMZZJ_the-peoples-bank-building-and-block_Sanford-FL.html
The Peoples Bank building, on the Southeast corner of First Street and Magnolia Avenue, was completed in 1906 and was the most modern building in this block. The Peoples Bank opened its doors on August 30, 1906. It was built by the contractor W.G. Hammond o…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMZZK_the-sanford-herald-building_Sanford-FL.html
This two story building was built in 1910. It served the Sanford Herald, a newspaper that began publication in 1908, as offices and printing room. The architect and builder was W.G. Hammond. The Sanford Lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM100N_the-imperial-opera-house_Sanford-FL.html
Sanford's center for entertainment, the Imperial Opera House opened June 15, 1910. The contractor W.G. Hammond built the building for the owners T.J. Miller and son. George A. DeCottes was the first lessee of this building which replaced a barn-like structu…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM100Z_the-hill-hardware-building_Sanford-FL.html
This building was erected in 1917 by the Directors of the Seminole County Bank shortly after the adjacent bank building facing First Street was completed. It was constructed of brick and stucco and intended to provide room for two stores downstairs and offi…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1010_the-n-p-yowell-and-the-garner-woodruff-buildings_Sanford-FL.html
the N.P. Yowell Building was built in 1910 for a prominent Orlando merchant of the same name. It was designed by Jacksonville architect W.B. Talley, and built by George Venable. When opened, it was a dry goods store. Built at the same time was an immediate …
PAGE 1 OF 2