Historical Marker Series

South Carolina: Beaufort County Historical Society

Showing results 1 to 10 of 16
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM398_beaufort-arsenal_Beaufort-SC.html
Erected in 1798 and rebuilt in 1852, the Beaufort Arsenal was the home of the Beaufort Volunteer Artillery, commissioned in 1802, which had its roots in an earlier company organized in 1776 and served valiantly in the Revolutionary War. The BVA was statione…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM39P_beaufort-female-benevolent-society_Beaufort-SC.html
The Society, founded in 1814 to educate and provide relief for destitute children, built this house in 1895 and leased it for many years, using the income to help the needy. Tenants included the Clover Club, which operated a circulating library here (1910-1…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM3DM_st-helenas-church_Beaufort-SC.html
(Marker Front):This Episcopal Parish was established by Act of the Assembly June 7, 1712. The first known rector, William Guy, conducted early worship services in homes of settlers. The parish suffered greatly during the 1715 Yemassee Indian attack; constru…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM3GH_first-fort_Beaufort-SC.html
On or near this site in the settlement known as Stuart Town stood the "Tight Watch House" erected in 1683-4. After the destruction of the town by the Spanish in 1686 it was replaced by a fort, approximately 100 feet square defended by "9 Great Guns" known a…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM3TH_tomb-of-thomas-heyward-jr_Ridgeland-SC.html
Member of South Carolina Provincial Congress and Council of Safety and of Continental Congress. Signer of Declaration of Independence and Articles of Confederation and captain of militia at Battle of Port Royal and Siege of Charleston. Prisoner of war 1780-…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM3YX_pinckney-island_Bluffton-SC.html
Inhabited for some 10,000 years,Pinckney Island was known asEspalanga, Look-out, and Mackey'sprior to about 1775. AlexanderMackey received two Proprietarygrants for land on the islandin 1710. Charles Pinckney later owned the island and willed it in 1769to h…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM5HX_beaufort-college_Beaufort-SC.html
(Text front)Beaufort College, a college preparatory academy founded in 1795, occupied this Greek Revival building from 1852 to 1861. The school opened in 1084 at Bay and Church Sts. but closed in 1817 after a yellow fever epidemic, reopening in 1820 at Newc…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM5JY_the-great-sea-island-storm_St-Helena-Island-SC.html
( Front text )On the night of August 27, 1893, ahuge "tropical cyclone," the largestand most powerful storm to hit S.C.until Hurricane Hugo in 1989, madelandfall just E of Savannah, Ga.With gusts as high as 120 mph and astorm surge as 12 ft., the worstof th…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM9KH_battle-of-port-royal-island_Beaufort-SC.html
Near the old halfway house, in thevicinity of Grays Hill, on February3, 1779, a force of South CarolinaMilitia, Continentals, and volunteers, including men fromBeaufort, under General WilliamMoultrie, defeated the British intheir attempt to capture PortRoya…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMCXC_beaufort_Beaufort-SC.html
Second oldest town in South Carolina,Authorized by the Lords Proprietors,December 20, 1710,Chartered January 17, 1711,Laid out prior to February 16, 1717, Incorporated by the state,December 17, 1808
PAGE 1 OF 2