Historical Marker Series

Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O)

Showing results 1 to 10 of 49
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMT_baltimore-and-ohio-railroad-station_Gaithersburg-MD.html
Built: 1884. The Gaithersburg Railroad Station and freight house were built in 1884 as handsome replacements for the adjacent small frame structure which served as a freight depot when the Metropolitan Branch of the B & O Railroad was extended to Gaithersbu…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM4B_roundhouses-and-shops-railroad-strike-of-1877_Martinsburg-WV.html
Roundhouses and Shops. The B&O Railroad reached Martinsburg in 1842,and by 1849, a roundhouse and shops werebuilt. These first buildings were burned byConfederate troops in 1862. The present westroundhouse and the two shops were built in1866. The east round…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM4C_baltimore-and-ohio-railroad-shop-complex_Martinsburg-WV.html
The roundhouse is the sole surviving cast-iron framed roundhouse and is an important example of mid-19th century industrial building design. Designed by Albert Fink, in collaboration with Benjamin H. Latrobe, it represents an early use of standardized, pref…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM4F_martinsburg-roundhouse_Martinsburg-WV.html
In April 1861, as the Civil War erupted, Confederate forces seized the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad from Harpers Ferry west. On May 24, Gen. JosephE. Johnston ordered Col. Thomas J. (later "Stonewall") Jackson to destroythe rolling stock here at Martinsburg,…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM65_the-thomas-viaduct_Arbutus-MD.html
Commenced, July 4th, 1833. Finished July 4th, 1835. Johnathan Knight, Chief Engineer, Caspar W. Wever, Superintendent of Construction. Designed by Benjamin H. Latrobe. Built by John McCartney of Ohio. (Other two sides of the monument list company dir…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMH2_ellicotts-mills_Ellicott-City-MD.html
Established 1772 by the three Ellicott brothers from Bucks County, Pennsylvania. They opened the road from here to Baltimore. The B. and O. R. R. was completed to this point May 20, 1830.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMMR_train-no-286-bell-memorial_Brunswick-MD.html
(below the window) Preserve the memory of train crew by ringing this bell for Ricky, Jimmy and Jim. (above the window) The bricks which make up the base of the bell memorial came from the B & O roundhouse that once stood in Brunswick, Maryland. The bell…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMRV_garrett-park-md_Garrett-Park-MD.html
In 1887, the Metropolitan Investment and Building Company laid out the town, named after Robert W. Garrett, President of the B. & O. Railroad. It was to be primarily residential, a short commuter train ride to Washington, D.C. Now, over one hundred years la…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMS2_garrett-park-waiting-room_Kensington-MD.html
In 1989, this passenger waiting room was taken down from its location in Landover, MD., and brought to this site and re-assembled by the Montgomery County Conservation Corps. On behalf of the citizens of Garrett Park, the Mayor and Town Council hereby expre…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM18G_the-lower-depot-neighborhood-the-frederick-brick-works_Frederick-MD.html
(North Facing Side): The Lower Depot NeighborhoodThe railroad transformed 19th century America, facilitating long-distance travel and the efficient transfer of raw materials to factories and agricultural and manufactured goods to markets. For Frederick this…
PAGE 1 OF 5