Historical Marker Series

Florida: West Volusia Historical Society

Showing results 1 to 10 of 19
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMULY_the-womans-club-of-deland_DeLand-FL.html
The Woman's Club of DeLand was organized in March 1906, and was incorporated on July 26 of that year with ninety-two charter members. Nearly from its inception club members wanted to have their own clubhouse. The organization purchased a lot on West Michiga…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMUMT_first-movie-house_DeLand-FL.html
Around 1907 V. Ward Gould and Arthur Voyle opened DeLand's first silent movie business here. With straight backed chairs for the audience and sheeting for a screen, they rigged up a projection booth and hired a pianist to furnish the music. The film was han…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMUOF_the-first-post-office_DeLand-FL.html
According to early sources, the first post office in DeLand was in the rear of the Jordan & Lancaster store on West Indiana Avenue somewhere "between Woodland Boulevard and Florida Avenue." Dr. G. W. Lancaster, DeLand's first druggist, was also the first po…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMUPD_the-haven-block_DeLand-FL.html
The three buildings called "The Haven Block" extend from 112 to 116 N. Woodland Blvd. These three Romanesque-style buildings have been home to countless businesses for over a century. In their early history was Haven's Hall on the second floor, where the De…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMUQ4_first-united-methodist-church_DeLand-FL.html
The First United Methodist Church was established August 1, 1880. It was the first church organized in the new settlement of DeLand. Three years later, this building was completed for worship services. It was a simple frame structure with a bell in the stee…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMUQ6_st-johns-masonic-lodge_DeLand-FL.html
This building was the St. John's Masonic Lodge #7. The cornerstone, containing the membership rolls of the Masonic bodies in DeLand, was laid Sept. 14, 1925. Designed by local architects, Carpenter & Bent, the lower floor originally accommodated a lobby, fi…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMUR0_early-grocery-stores_DeLand-FL.html
Although there has been a structure on this site since at least 1885, this building was erected about 1897. From the late 19th to the middle 20th century, most of DeLand's grocery stores were located along Woodland Blvd. Bushnell, Cantrell, Conrad, Dozier, …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMURC_the-opera-house_DeLand-FL.html
This corner was the site of DeLand's first newspaper, The Volusia County Herald, first published on May 10, 1877 by Henry DeLand. It was succeeded in 1878 by The Agriculturalist, edited by Col. C. C. Codrington, Gov. General of the West Indies, who escaped …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMUYT_first-commercial-store_DeLand-FL.html
Capt. James B. Jordan came to DeLand in 1876. While serving in a North Carolina regiment during the civil war, Capt. Jordan was wounded and taken prisoner in July 1863 at the Battle of Gettysburg. Following the war, he came to Florida and opened DeLand's fi…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMUYX_landis-fish-building_DeLand-FL.html
In 1905 the Landis & Fish Law Firm erected a brick one-story Romanesque-style building on this site. As the firm grew, it was enlarged in 1925 to the two-story Federal structure you see today. Begun by Cary D. Landis and Bert Fish, the firm was noted for it…
PAGE 1 OF 2