Historical Marker Series

Maryland: Lost Rockville – 1801 to 1850

Page 2 of 2 — Showing results 11 to 14 of 14
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM609_rockville-academy_Rockville-MD.html
In 1805, the Maryland General Assembly appointed a commission to raise money for a school lot and a fire engine for Rockville. The Rockville Academy was chartered and authorized to hire teachers in 1809. In 1812 and 1813, a number of lots were purchased on …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMP4T_rockville-baptist-church-and-cemetery_Rockville-MD.html
In 1823, the deacons of the Bethel Baptist Church church acquired a half-acre lot at this site to erect a church and provide a burial ground. The original church was replaced in 1864, but a half century later, the Baptists demolished it and built a larger c…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMT6L_montgomery-avenue-and-washington-street_Rockville-MD.html
Rockville grew from a convenient crossroads meeting place in the 1750s to become the legal and market center of the county. The tiny village was selected as the seat of local government in 1776 for its central location and the presence of taverns and inns t…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMT8R_rockville-methodist-episcopal-church-jerusalem-mount-pleasant_Rockville-MD.html
Rockville was an early center of Methodism in Montgomery County. Methodists first met in private homes with occasional visits from a "circuit rider" minister. In 1835, the trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church purchased lot 82 of the Original Town of R…
PAGE 2 OF 2