Historical Marker Series

Maryland: Lost Rockville – 1801 to 1850

Showing results 1 to 10 of 14
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMTA_beall-dawson-house-and-park_Rockville-MD.html
The Beall-Dawson property originally extended from Montgomery Avenue west to Forest Avenue and north to Martins Lane. The house was built in 1815 by Upton Beall, Clerk of the Montgomery County Court. It is a 2 1/2 story brick Federal-style home distinguishe…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMTR_the-bingham-brewer-house_Rockville-MD.html
This two-story Federal structure is significant for its architecture and for its personal associations. The house is one of only two pre-1830 brick structures still intact in Rockville. The front section is 24-feet high and 24-feet wide. It rests on bric…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1L2_montgomery-county-jail_Rockville-MD.html
In 1777, seven commissioners were appointed to purchase a plot of land not exceeding four acres, for building a court house and prison for Montgomery County. In 1777, both court and jail were located in the former Hungerford Tavern on South Washington Stree…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM3KQ_saint-marys-church_Rockville-MD.html
St. Mary's Church, built in 1817, is the oldest church still in use in Rockville. Rockville was chosen for the church location for its relatively large concentration of Catholics, it central location, and its prominence as the County seat. St. Mary's became…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM3Q5_1803-plan-of-rockville-and-boundary-stone_Rockville-MD.html
Rockville began when Owen's Ordinary, an inn and tavern, was established in this area around 1750. It functioned as the seat of lower Frederick County and in 1776 became the seat of Montgomery County when it was created. In 1784, William P. Williams subdivi…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM3T0_montgomery-county-court-house_Rockville-MD.html
There have been four court houses in Rockville since it was established as the County seat in 1776. Court was originally held at Hungerford Tavern. A frame court house existed in the late 18th century but was sufficiently outgrown by 1810 to necessitate a n…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM4JY_the-prettyman-house_Rockville-MD.html
This house was built on a 13.5-acre lot on the outskirts of Rockville in 1842. A stone marking the southwest corner of the original 1803 Rockville Plan is between this house and the adjacent Rockville Academy grounds. Matilda Holland, widow of Montgomery Co…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM52G_north-adams-street-and-middle-lane-residential-area_Rockville-MD.html
The area at North Adams Street and Middle Lane has four of the oldest surviving Rockville homes: 101, 106, and 5 North Adams, and the Beall-Dawson House. The 1793 portion of the house at 5 North Adams is probably the oldest structure in Rockville. The o…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM5S9_christ-episcopal-church_Rockville-MD.html
The first Episcopal church in or near Rockville was built in 1739 on a two-acre parcel of land, part of which is now the Rockville Cemetery. It was constructed of clapboards and logs and was called both the "Chapel of Ease" and Rock Creek Chapel. The latter…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM5UT_out-of-robbs-window-montgomery-county-courthouse_Rockville-MD.html
Architect Benjamin Latrobe came to "Montgomery Court House" in 1811 hoping that the fresh air would help his ailing young son recover his health. He stayed at Adam Robb's tavern that may have been located on Lot 4 on Jefferson Street across from the Court H…
PAGE 1 OF 2