Historical Marker Series

Forbes Road

Showing results 1 to 10 of 24
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM931_bedford-county_Bedford-PA.html
Formed on March 9, 1771 from Cumberland County, it first embraced most of western Pennsylvania. Named for its county seat (formerly Raystown) incorporated 1795. In 1758, Fort Bedford was erected here, and Forbes Road - to become a major highway west - was b…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMCU0_forbes-road_Burnt-Cabins-PA.html
Just east of here is the junction of the two branches of the Raystown Path: a mountain shortcut by way of Fannettsburg, and Gen. Forbes road through Cowan Gap. From here Forbes route is marked by towns named for his forts: Littleton, Bedford, Ligonier, Pitt…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HME88_forbes-road_Central-City-PA.html
Named for Edmund Cartlidge, Indian trader. A camp located here, on the Raystown Path, provided good grass for the horses of General Forbes' army in 1758. The site of the redoubt is marked two and a half miles north of here.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMFA7_somerset-county_Somerset-PA.html
Formed April 17, 1795 out of Bedford County and named for Somersetshire, England. County seat of Somerset was incorporated in 1804. Settlement followed the course of Forbes Road, opened 1758. This farm county is noted for production of maple syrup.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMK91_forbes-road_Carlisle-PA.html
To capture Fort Duquesne, General Forbes marched an army, in 1758, from his main base at Carlisle to the forks of the Ohio. He followed as closely as he could with army wagons, the Raystown Indian and traders Path, widened by axemen under Colonel Henry Bouq…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMNM6_the-forbes-road_Carlisle-PA.html
In 1758, after three years of war in North America with the French and Indian alliance, the British Empire launched the Forbes Expedition. The campaign began in Carlisle, the county seat for territory that extended to the Ohio River. The British planned …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMRDH_bouquet-camp_Verona-PA.html
Bouquet Camp, supply base in the Forbes' campaign against the French holding Fort Duquesne in 1758, was near here. Named in honor of Colonel Bouquet, second-in-command and builder of Forbes Road.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMRDJ_forbes-road_Pittsburgh-PA.html
The last base of General Forbes' army. After crossing nearly "two hundred miles of wild and unknown country," the army entered Fort Duquesne on November 25, 1758.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMRDK_forbes-road_Verona-PA.html
The Bouquet Encampment was located three miles east of this place which marks the farthest Northern point of the Forbes Road which leads Westward to Fort Duquesne 97 miles from Bedford
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMS6B_forbes-road_Pittsburgh-PA.html
Fort DuquesneEnd of Forbes RoadOccupied by General ForbesNovember 25, 1758 and by him namedPittsburgh. His victory determined the destiny of theGreat West and established Anglo-Saxonsupremacy in the United States."His name for ages to come will be dear t…
PAGE 1 OF 3