Historical Marker Series

California: Gaslamp Quarter - San Diego

Showing results 1 to 10 of 21
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMYNP_horton-grand-kahle-saddlery-1886_San-Diego-CA.html
San Diego's oldest Victorian hotel, the Grand Hotel was renamed the Hotel Horton in 1907, and is now the Horton Grand. In 1981, the Horton and the Kahle Saddlery, both located at different sites and slated for demolition, were disassembled, moved here, and …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMYS9_timkin-building-1894_San-Diego-CA.html
Henry Timkin invented the roller bearing for the horse-drawn carriage, and was one of San Diego's leading real estate investors. In 1894 he built this building at the cost of $7,200. It is most notable for the top brick overhang and the large second-floor s…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMYTF_george-hill-building-1897_San-Diego-CA.html
This three-story structure was built to replace the landmark Horton's Hall, which was partially destroyed by fire. The building was designed for five storerooms on the first floor, and thirty offices on the upper floors. The San Diego Normal School, now San…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMYU1_i-o-o-f-building-1882_San-Diego-CA.html
A joint effort of the Masonic and Odd Fellows Lodges, this Classical Revival-style building required nearly a decade to complete due to a lack of money and materials. A parade kicked off the long awaited laying of the cornerstone, into which was placed a ca…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMYWQ_sheldon-block_San-Diego-CA.html
This solid brick building was once four-stories high with a basement. The first floor was for retail, while the upper floors were for offices and lodging. Unfortunately, the upper floors had to be removed, because the structure was weakened when the upper f…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMYWZ_keating-building-1890_San-Diego-CA.html
This Romanesque-style structure was financed by George Keating, but he passed away before its completion. His wife Fannie directed the completion, which is evidenced in the more feminine and decorative appearance of the upper floors. In 1893, San Diego Savi…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMYY1_marston-block-1881_San-Diego-CA.html
In 1881, George Marston located his third department store in this two-story Victorian Italian-style building. It remained here until 1896 when it was relocated to a larger building. Until the 1970s, Marston's was the largest and most successful San Diego b…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMYY5_william-heath-davis-house-1850_San-Diego-CA.html
The Davis house is the oldest surviving structure from San Diego's New Town. It is an example of a prefabricated, "salt-box" style home. Built on the East Coast, shipped around Cape Horn, and assembled in San Diego, The Davis House originally stood on State…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMYY6_st-james-hotel-1912_San-Diego-CA.html
Now dwarfed by the city's modern skyscrapers, the ten-story St. James was once the tallest building in San Diego. In 1914, the San Diego Union extolled it as "first class in every respect, with excellent service." The hotel featured 146 rooms, a barber shop…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMZ28_mercantile-building-1894_San-Diego-CA.html
The Mercantile Building is an extension of the Ingersoll-Tutton building to the north. This is evident in its matching architectural beauty. This structure housed several retail and service-oriented businesses, including A.M. Ingersoll's ice cream and confe…
PAGE 1 OF 3