Historical Marker Series

U.S. Route 66

Showing results 1 to 10 of 49
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMGDN_schiffedecker-park_Joplin-MO.html
picture of Will Rogers Formerly Electric Park (1909-1912), is traced to a multi-acre dairy farm in the 1890's. Charles Schifferdecker acquired the land in the early 1900s. On Nov. 1, 1913 he deeded forty acres to the city of Joplin. Schifferdecker Park…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMLVP_the-winslow-bridge_Winslow-AZ.html
This date medallion is from the Winslow Bridge that once spanned the Little Colorado River on historic Route 66 just east of Winslow. Because the river had always proved a daunting impediment to travelers, this bridge crossing became a strategic juncture in…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMM6S_amboy-and-roys-caf_Amboy-CA.html
Amboy, settled as early as 1858, became a water stop when the Southern Pacific Railroad laid its tracks through the Cadiz Valley in 1883-84. Following the course of the railroad and the National Old Trails Highway, Route 66 was opened in 1926. Amboy soon sa…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMM9U_adams-grocery_Williams-AZ.html
In 1926, the Old Trails Highway was officially designated U.S. Highway 66, and it became the "Main Street of America." In 1984, Williams was the last Route 66 town in America to be bypassed by the interstate highway system. Built in 1907, this building has …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMMA1_pollock-building_Williams-AZ.html
Built of locally quarried volcanic rock in 1901, this edifice housed a bank and many businesses displaced by the 1901 fire. These included the local newspaper, telegraph office, and eventually Arnold's, a famous Route 66 eatery. In 1928, the Masonic Lodge a…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMMBN_ash-fork_Ash-Fork-AZ.html
Ash Fork is located near the 35th Parallel where, in the 1850's the Army Corps of Topographical Engineers began surveying a future railroad route. Camels were imported and used as beast of burden, adding to the colorful history of the region. A wagon road w…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMMBO_ash-fork-maintenance-camp-1_Ash-Fork-AZ.html
Built circa 1926-27by the Arizona Departmentof Transportation This building constructed of Moenkopi Sandstone, has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Ash Fork Camp location was selected because it is a junction point of the O…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMMBR_the-story-of-route-66_Needles-CA.html
[ Six panels are mounted on a half-moon base which tell The Story of Route 66 ]. Reading from left to right: [ Panel 1: ]The Story of Route 66Commissioned in 1926 and soon dubbed "The Mother Road," Route 66 was a great asphalt river linking Chicago and …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMMD8_ash-fork-arizona-the-coming-of-route-66_Ash-Fork-AZ.html
Ashfork, ArizonaFounded 1882 The Coming of Route "66"1926Ash Fork was a junction point of the Old Trails (Route 66) and the Grand Canyon - Nogales Highways (US 89), leading to the southern sections of the state. Pictured is Lewis Ave. "Route 66" as it…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMN62_the-connor-hotel_Joplin-MO.html
Joplin's original industries were lead and zinc mining, smelting and associated manufacturing. Joplin became the center of one of the most important mining fields in the world. In 1906 and 1907 the Connor Hotel was built to provide accommodations for par…
PAGE 1 OF 5