Historical Marker Series

South Carolina: Union County Historical Society

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM8O9_fair-forest-plantation-emslie-nicholson-house_Union-SC.html
Fair Forest PlantationFair Forest, named for nearby Fair Forest Creek, was the plantation of Col. Thomas Fletchall (d.1789), prominent militia officer before the Revolution and Loyalist during it. Captured in 1775 and briefly jailed, Fletchall moved to Char…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM8R9_presbyterian-cemetery_Union-SC.html
[Front]:This cemetery, the oldest in Union, was established ca. 1817 and sometimes called the "village cemetery." In 1818 a Presbyterian "union" church used by other denominations as well moved here from a 1783 site about 2 mi. E. Alexander Macbeth then dee…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM8RW_culp-beaty-hall_Union-SC.html
[Front Side]:This Greek Revival house was built ca. 1857 for Benjamin Dudley Culp (1821-1885) and his wife Cornelia Meng Culp (1830-1888). Culp, a Union merchant, owned stores on Main Street with partners J.T. Hill and H.L. Goss from the 1850s through the 1…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMFUO_balloon-landing-1861_Jonesville-SC.html
[Front]:On April 20, 1861, only days after the Civil War began at Fort Sumter, scientist and aeronaut T.S.C. Lowe (1832-1913) landed the Enterprise, a large gas balloon, on a nearby farm. Lowe was on a test flight in preparation for a trans-Atlantic attempt…
PAGE 1 OF 1