Historical Marker Series

South Carolina: York County Historical Commission

Showing results 1 to 10 of 14
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM78I_bratton-house-site-jefferson-daviss-flight_York-SC.html
Bratton House SiteRobert Clendinen, Yorkville lawyer and South Carolina Senator from York Disrict (1816-30), purchased this land in 1813. The house which he built here before his death in 1830, was acquired in 1847 by Dr. James Rufus Bratton, a surgeon in t…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM795_kings-mountain-military-academy-site-micah-jenkins_York-SC.html
King's MountainMilitary Academy SiteMicah Jenkins and Asbury Coward, graduates of The Citadel in Charleston, founded this Yorkville school in 1855. Closed during the Civil War, it was re-opened in 1866 by Coward, who later became head of S.C.Military Academ…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMAUJ_village-of-rock-hill-city-of-rock-hill_Rock-Hill-SC.html
Village of Rock HillMain Street was laid out on Alexander Templeton Black's land by Squire John Roddey in 1851. The post office was established in 1852. The village was incorporated by the General Assembly in 1870 with an area of one mile square; its center…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMG9X_town-of-smyrna_Smyrna-SC.html
This town was named for Smyrna Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, organized ca. 1842. An academy was established here by 1870, and in 1888 the Charleston, Cincinnati, and Chicago Railroad completed its line here. Four years later the post office was es…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMG9Y_hickory-grove_Hickory-Grove-SC.html
(Front:) The land on which the town of Hickory Grove developed was granted to John McKenney in 1771 by George III of England. The Hickory Grove Post Office was in operation as early as 1831, and a free public school was located here by 1851. In 1888 the Cha…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMGA2_town-of-sharon-sharon_Sharon-SC.html
Town of SharonJohn L. Rainey, owner of large tracts of land on which Sharon was established, conveyed land to the Presbyterian church in 1889 and 1898, the Methodists in 1897, and the Methodist Episcopal Zion church in 1904. The First National Bank, establi…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMGA7_laceys-fort_Sharon-SC.html
[Marker Front]Col. Edward Lacey (1742-1813), prominent officer in the American Revolution in the S.C. backcountry, occupied this hill west of Turkey Creek in the late summer of 1780. Lacey, who commanded S.C. militiamen in the battles of Rocky Mount, Cary's…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMGA8_mcconnells_McConnells-SC.html
After the Kings Mountain Railroad was completed in 1852, the McConnellsville Post Office was established here in 1854. The town, named for the McConnell family, was incorporated in 1906. The first intendant was J.T. Crawford; wardens were J.F. Ashe, S.H. Lo…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMGHA_ebenezer_Rock-Hill-SC.html
The town of Ebenezer was incorporated in 1893. Dr. W.B. Fewell was the first intendant, and the first wardens were J.W. Avery, A.A. Barron, S.A. Fewell, and J.B. Neely. The post office here from 1890-1911 was called Old Point. Earlier post offices were Eben…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMGHC_fort-mill_Fort-Mill-SC.html
(Front) Fort Mill was established on land received in 1787 by Thomas Spratt, one of the first settlers in this area. According to local tradition, the 4,535-acre tract in Catawba Indian territory was given Spratt by the Catawbas who were grateful for his as…
PAGE 1 OF 2