Historical Marker Series

South Carolina: Preservation Society of Charleston

Showing results 1 to 10 of 66
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMCXW_col-othneil-beales-house_Charleston-SC.html
Othneil Beale, sea Captain from New England, Colonel of Provincial Troops, Engineer, Successful merchant, built this house about 1740, with ground floors for mercantile use, and living rooms above Finely Cypress Paneled.The previous owners, Justice and Mrs.…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMI8O_major-peter-bocquets-house_Charleston-SC.html
Peter Bocquet the younger built this houseshortly after the lot was given to him in July,1770, by his father Peter Bocquet, senior, aHuguenot immigrant. The younger Bocquetbecame a major in the Revolutionary forces,a member of the General Assembly, a PrivyC…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMI8P_david-ramsay-house_Charleston-SC.html
Notable for its fine Georgianpaneling, this was home andoffice to Dr. David Ramsay,the distinguished patriot,Revolutionary Historian andphysician. Dr. Ramsayintroduced the Small Poxvaccine to Charlestonand helped found theMedical Society of SouthCarolina. H…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMI8Y_the-south-carolina-society_Charleston-SC.html
Founded by French Huguenots September 1, 1737, was incorporated May 1, 1751, by the Provincial General Assembly and the Charter confirmed at the Court of St. James by George II December 20, 1752. To further the Society's activities this Hall and School, des…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMI91_john-cordes-prioleau-house_Charleston-SC.html
This property, originally known as Town Lot Number 54 of the Grand Modell of Charles Town, was granted by the Lords Proprietors to William Jones March 23, 1682. In 1808, the property was purchased by John Cordes Prioleau, a wealthy planter. Madame Rosalie A…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMIAE_daniel-ravenel-ii-house_Charleston-SC.html
Built in 1796 byDaniel Ravenel,the Second ofWantoot Plantation,as a summer homereplacing an earlier buildingdestroyed in the great fires of that year.The property came tohis wife in 1749,having been owned since 1710by her grandfatherIsaac Mazyck,the FrenchH…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMIAG_the-confederate-home_Charleston-SC.html
This handsome building, c. 1800 was constructed by Gilbert Chalmers. From 1810 to 1825 it was the home of Gov. John Geddes, who married the builder's daughter. During Gov. Geddes' term in office, Pres. James Monroe visited here. In 1867 Mary Amarinthia Yate…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMIB8_the-douxsaint-house_Charleston-SC.html
This property, a part of one of theoriginal town lots in the Grand Modelof Charles Towne was bought byPaul Douxsaint, merchant, planter, andFrench Huguenot immigrant, in 1725. The Charleston single house of Frenchtype construction appears to have beenbui…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMIBA_the-footlight-players-workshop_Charleston-SC.html
The building at 20 Queen Street was built circa 1840 for use as a cotton warehouse. It is considered a notable example of vernacular warehouse architecture in Charleston, influenced by Roman Revival and West Indian architecture. In 1934, the building was pu…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMLAI_the-john-n-tidemann-house_Charleston-SC.html
This Charleston Single house was constructed between 1835-1852. The house was lived in by John Tidemann, a German immigrant who arrived in Charleston in 1846 at age nineteen. He established a successful hay & grain business at the corner of Prioleau and Cor…
PAGE 1 OF 7