Historical Marker Series

Virginia: Fairfax County History Commission

Showing results 1 to 10 of 41
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMU_keenes-mill_Springfield-VA.html
A saw and grist mill built by James Keene between 1796 and 1800, when it was expanded, stood on the north side of the original Keene Mill Road right-of-way just to the east of this marker. The mill served the surrounding farm community for approximately six…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1R_mitchell-weeks-house_Chantilly-VA.html
This building is a reproduction of a typical "Potomac Valley Farmhouse" built at this location circa 1789 by Benjamin Mitchell. It was one and a half story log house, with a sloping front roof extending over a porch, which in time became a community landmar…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMCC_springfield-station_Springfield-VA.html
The first Springfield Station was located on the south side of the Orange and Alexandria Railroad near this location. Built after 1851, when the railroad was completed to Henry Daingerfield's "Springfield Farm," the station was the site of a Civil War skirm…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMCU_franconia_Franconia-VA.html
"Frankhonia Farm" was situated on 191 acres purchased in 1859 by Alexandria merchant and businessman William Fowle from Joseph Broders of Oak Grove Farm. His son, Robert Rollins Fowle, sold 18 acres to the Alexandria & Fredericksburg Railway Company in 1871…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMDC_rose-hill_Alexandria-VA.html
The community of Rose Hill was created in 1954. The land was part of an 18th century plantation known as Rose Hill, established by Daniel French, the builder of Pohick Church. The house was the site of a raid by Confederate Maj. John S. Mosby on 28 Sept, 18…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HME5_carrolltown_Alexandria-VA.html
In this vicinity a small African-American settlement grew from ten acres of land given to Jane Carroll by her owner, Dennis Johnston, before 1856. Jane's son, George, acquired an additional 121 acres from Johnston's heirs in 1899 and 1903. In 1904 George Ca…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHB_luther-p-jackson-high-school_Fairfax-VA.html
Luther P. Jackson High School, opened in 1954, was the first and only high school in Fairfax County created to serve the African-American community. The school was named after Luther Porter Jackson, a prominent historian, educator and founder of the Negro V…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHU_benvenue_McLean-VA.html
"Benvenue" was part of the 3402 acre "Woodberry" estate granted by Lord Fairfax in 1724 to George Turberville. Charles Lee Corbin Turberville was deeded 400 acres in 1796, which included 198 acres that became known as "Benvenue" when acquired by Capt. Thoma…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMIK_mclean_McLean-VA.html
McLean originated in this vicinity after the electrified Great Falls and Old Dominion Railroad began operating in 1906. Its tracks crossed Chain Bridge Road between the villages of Lewinsville and Langley, near the Ingleside community. By 1910 the area was …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMRG_cartersville-baptist-church_Vienna-VA.html
According to tradition, free African-Americans established a religious congregation, which met in private homes, in this area as early as 1863. Rose Carter, a member of the community, donated land for a church in 1903. The church served the residents of Car…
PAGE 1 OF 5