Historical Marker Series

Wisconsin: Dane County Historical Society

Showing results 1 to 10 of 46
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMDCB_john-f-appleby_Mazomanie-WI.html
It was here at Mazomanie in the late 1870's that John F. Appleby perfected the knotter. Still used on binders and balers, the knotter is a mechanical device which binds grain into compact bundles with twine. Appleby was born in New York State but spent h…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HML93_frank-j-hess-and-sons-cooperage-frank-j-hess-cooper_Madison-WI.html
Side AThe Frank J. Hess and Sons Cooperage became Wisconsin's largest independent family-owned cooperage, manufacturing quarter-sawn white oak beer, wine, and whiskey barrels. The two factory buildings located near the railroad tracks were behind the family…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HML9K_indian-lake-passage_Cross-Plains-WI.html
On July 21, 1832, during the Black Hawk War, Sac Indian leader Black Hawk and his band left Pheasant Branch, west of Madison, retreating ahead of the military forces commanded by Colonels Ewing and Dodge. The band fled north following a route past the west …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HML9M_st-mary-of-the-oaks_Cross-Plains-WI.html
On the brow of a hill, one-half mile east overlooking Indian Lake, rests a tiny stone chapel. The structure was built in 1857 by John Endres in fulfillment of a religious vow he made in return for protecting the lives of his family during a diphtheria epide…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMLMB_father-adalbert-inama-st-norbert-house_Sauk-City-WI.html
Father Adalbert Inama a Norbertine Missionary was born in Wilton Tyrol Austria on December 26, 1798. He came to the Roxbury - Sac Prairie area in November 1845. Early the next year he built an 18 x 20 foot log cabin one mile west of here on the banks of Mad…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMLP4_keystone-house_Madison-WI.html
Squire William Pethrick, English barrister and gentleman farmer, used native stone and timber to build this house here in 1853 on 30 acres of land. Pethrick chose the site because he believed that Madison's State Street would eventually be extended to his h…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMLS1_haneys-tavern_Cross-Plains-WI.html
In 1838 at the foot of this bluff Berry Haney, a migrant from Cross Plains, Tennessee, established the Cross Plains Post Office in a log house. Early Cross Plains was the site of important military road crossings and Haney became the pioneer village's best …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMLSJ_greenbush_Madison-WI.html
Once a marshy area off the shores of Lake Monona, this triangular shaped neighborhood became a dream for Italian immigrants during the early 1900's. Greenbush developed into one of America's countless Little Italys, complemented with Jewish, Black and Ir…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMM03_heritage-of-the-hill_Madison-WI.html
Madison developers Delaplaine and Burdick erected the three-story Lakeside Water Cure here in 1854. This unsuccessful venture closed after three years and re-opened in 1866 as a summer resort hotel. Known as the "Newport of the West," it appealed to wealthy…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMM0H_pioneer-scottish-settlement_Verona-WI.html
"Highland Clearances" and 300% hikes in farm rent prompted many Scottish farmers to sail to America in the mid-1800s. Some displaced Scots settled in Springdale and Verona Townships on both sides of the Military Ridge. This rural community known as Scotch L…
PAGE 1 OF 5