Historical Marker Series

South Carolina: Colleton County Historical Society

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM4CO_bethel-presbyterian-church_Walterboro-SC.html
[Front text]This church, originally located at Jacksonboro, was founded in 1728 by Rev. Archibald Stobo (d.1741), father of the Presbyterian church in S.C. The first building at Jacksonboro was replaced in 1746 by a "hansome sanctuary" that stood until it w…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM4WP_temple-of-sport_Green-Pond-SC.html
On top of this ridge stood a sylvan temple erected before the Revolution by Colonel Barnard Elliott, patriot and sportsman. The structure was supported by columns in the classic manor. The site, a part of Colonel Elliot's plantation "Belleview," afforded an…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM4Y0_battle-of-parkers-ferry_Closter-SC.html
Sent to intercept a raid by 540 Hessians, British, and Tories, General Francis Marion with a force of 400 men on August 30, 1781 set up an ambuscade along this road about 1 mile from the ferry. The enemy advancing along the narrow causeway were surprised an…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM4Y5_edmundsbury_Green-Pond-SC.html
A brick Chapel of Ease for St. Bartholomew's Parish was built here in 1785 in a town laid out in 1740 and named for Landgrave Edmund Bellinger. The vestry reported the chapel unfit for use in 1786, and in 1810 it fell in ruins. A new chapel was built in 181…
PAGE 1 OF 1