Historical Marker Series

South Carolina: Laurens County Historical Society

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM6ES_youngs-school_Gray-Court-SC.html
Here at Young's School in 1915, Dr. Wil Lou Gray (1883-1984) initiated for her native county of Laurens a seven-school program of night education for adults which led to the adoption of a state-wide system and her national recognition as a tireless and effe…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM7RJ_masonic-lodge-19-samuel-saxon_Laurens-SC.html
Masonic Lodge #19The first recorded meeting of this organization, known as Palmetto Lodge #19, took place Aug. 7, 1794, at the Samuel Saxon home, which stood nearby. Officers present were: Master, Joseph Downs; Deputy Master, Nathaniel McCoy; Senior Warden,…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM7T8_lindleys-fort-jonathan-downs_Laurens-SC.html
Lindley's FortOn July 15, 1776, a number of Indians and Tories attacked this frontier fort where area settlers had gathered for protection. Major Jonathan Downs, with a company of men, had arrived the previous evening & helped repulse the attack. This victo…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMF6P_martins-store_Ware-Shoals-SC.html
[Front]:This store, first known as Daniel's store or the "Beehive," was built before the Civil War by James Wright Daniel (1814-1904) and several business partners. In 1878 James Martin (1815-1879) bought the store from the other partners and became sole ow…
PAGE 1 OF 1