Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West
Page 9 of 60 — Showing results 81 to 90 of 595
Originally known as Allen's Camp after Gabriel Allen, who in the 1870s had a cabin and stock pasture near here, the settlement was named Caliente when railroad construction reached this point in April 1875. The town became a railroad terminal for about 16 m…
This site, in 1849, was a trading center for pioneer miners of Northwestern Calaveras County. It was named after the gulch where William and Dan Carsner found large nuggets imbedded in the course sand.
Water for mining was brought from the Middle Fork of…
Built in 1864, to replace the original bridge washed away by the flood of 1862. Fastened together with locust pins. A toll bridge until purchased by Stanislaus County in 1885.Dedicated May 30, 1948Rededicated May 2, 1988
On this spot, which marks the summit of the Kit Carson Pass stood what was known as the Kit Carson Tree on which the famous scout Kit Carson inscribed his name in 1844 when he guided the then Captain John C. Fremont, head of a government exploring expeditio…
Here in the Valley of the Cul-lum-mah Indians, James W. Marshall discovered gold on January 24, 1848, in the tailrace of Sutter's sawmill. The Old Coloma Road, opened in 1847 from Sutter's Fort to Coloma, was used by Marshall to carry the news of the discov…
Originated at time of gold discovery also known as "Coloma Protestant" or "Vineyard House" Cemetery. Still used by local pioneer families.
Hiram Lodge No.43: Free and Accepted Masons, was chartered in the town of Mud Springs, as it was ten called, May 16, 1854. The Lodge met in rented buildings until the completion of this brick edifice in 1862.
On September 17, 1923 a fire destroyed most o…
Dedicated toGneral Albert Maver WinnFounder of the Fraternal Order ofThe Native Sons of the Golden WestandTo the California PioneersRededicated and RestoredSeptember 1969-April 1977-July 2004
This stamp mill was manufactured at the Miners Foundry and Supply Co., Nevada City, California in the late 1800's. After a circuitous journey, it has returned to its place of crushing hard rock at the English Mine and then the New Salmon Mine, owned by Dona…
IN MEMORY OF THE PIONEERS BURIED HERE