Historical Marker Series

Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West

Page 2 of 60 — Showing results 11 to 20 of 595
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM12J_fort-tejon_Lebec-CA.html
This military post was established by the United States Army on June 24, 1854, to suppress stock rustling and for the protection of Indians in the San Joaquin Valley. As regimental headquarters of the First Dragoons, Fort Tej?n was an important military, so…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM12O_peter-l-traver-building_Murphys-CA.html
Constructed by Peter L. Traver in 1856, this is the oldest stone building in Murphys. Its iron shutters and sand on the roof protected it from the fires of 1859, 1874, and 1893. It served as a general store, a Wells Fargo office, and later a garage.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1FM_alpine-county-historical-complex_Markleeville-CA.html
The construction of this historical complex was initiated in 1964, "Alpine County's Centennial Year", by the Historical Society of Alpine County. With concerted effort and fortitude it was completed and duly dedicated as a historical landmark on June 17, 19…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1FN_webster-school_Markleeville-CA.html
This building was designed by Frederic J. DeLongchamps, a designer and engineer of mining, born in Reno, Nevada, on June 2, 1882, and educated in Nevada. He designed 500 buildings, including schools, courthouses, commercial structures, and residences. The n…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1XO_site-of-the-battle-of-chino_Chino-CA.html
Near this spot once stood the home of Isaac Williams, first American settler in this valley, about which on September 26-27 1846, was fought the first important engagement in California of the war with Mexico. This was also the site of the Chino Ranch St…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1YF_cucamonga-winery_Rancho-Cucamonga-CA.html
Established by Tiburcio Tapia, to whom the Cucamonga Rancho was granted March 3, 1839 by Governor Juan Bautista Alvarado of Mexico.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1YP_bear-gulch_Rancho-Cucamonga-CA.html
In memory of the California Pioneers. Bear Gulch, the home of oso. In 1779,Father Font camped hereon his way to Monterey.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM208_murphys_Murphys-CA.html
One of the principal mining communities in Calaveras County, named for the discoverer of gold on the flat in 1849. The objective of many immigrants coming over the Sierras by Ebbetts Pass, Murphys Flat and surrounding mines produced 20,000,000 dollars in go…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2U2_folsom-pony-express-terminus_Folsom-CA.html
Gold Rush and Railroad town Folsom became the Western Terminus of the Central Overland Pony Express on July 1, 1860. The express mail had been run by pony to and from Sacramento. Beginning on July 1, 1860, the Sacramento Valley Railroad carried it between S…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM338_point-cabrillo-light-station_Mendocino-CA.html
The Point Cabrillo Light Station was built in 1908 by the US Lighthouse Service to protect the "Doghole Schooners" that plied the lumber trade between San Francisco and the Redwood Coast. These steam ships and sailing vessels were known for their ability to…
PAGE 2 OF 60