Historical Marker Series

South Carolina: McCormick County Historical Commission

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM60Q_battle-of-long-cane_Troy-SC.html
About four miles southeast is the site of the American Revolutionary Battle of Long Cane. On December 12, 1780, Lieutenant Colonel Isaac Allen and a British force of 400-500 men defeated Colonel Elijah Clarke and 100 Americans, an advanced detachment of a P…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM7DO_badwell-badwell-cemetery_McCormick-SC.html
BadwellThree miles west is the site of "Badwell," home of James Louis Petigru (1789-1863), leader of opposition to secession in South Carolina, outstanding Charleston lawyer, and S.C. Attorney General. He studied at Willington Academy under Moses Waddel and…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM7DT_cherry-hill-noble-cemetery_Mt-Carmel-SC.html
Cherry HillThree miles southwest is "Cherry Hill," site of the home of George McDuffie (1790-1851), orator of nullification, member of the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate, Major General of the State Militia, and Governor of South Carolina.…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM7I6_long-canes-massacre_Troy-SC.html
Three miles west is the site of an attack by Cherokee Indians upon settlers of Long Canes in the Cherokee War of 1759-1761. There on February 1, 1760, about 150 settlers, refugeeing to Augusta, were overtaken by 100 Cherokee warriors. Twenty-three victims l…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMYLX_new-bordeaux-1764_McCormick-SC.html
[Front]:The town of New Bordeaux, the last of seven French Huguenot colonies founded in colonial S.C. and the only one in the upcountry, was established 1 mi. E in 1764. After Protestants fleeing religious persecution in France petitioned the British crown …
PAGE 1 OF 1