Arizona: Pistols, Plows and Petticoats Historic Driving Tour
Showing results 1 to 10 of 29
The oldest continuously operated Ford dealership west of the Mississippi began in the west building in 1910. A pathfinding auto trip blazed the first "ocean to ocean highway" through here.
This 10 foot high, 5 ton statue cast by St. Louis sculptor August Leimbach is one of 12 identical monuments to the bold spirit of the pioneers erected in 1928-29 along the National Old Trails Road from Maryland to California.
Built c.1915 & originally called the Apache Theatre, this adobe movie house once showed silent flickers with a hand-cranked projector. Renamed the El Rio in 1937, Round Valley's first theatre is still operating with its original popcorn machine.
Part of the Spanish migration from northern New Mexico to Round Valley, Faustin Baldonado & his son Pedro bought this adobe home w/1 foot thick walls in the 1890's. Originally a cantina, Pedro added rooms when he married in 1900.
Gregorio Baca bought this house from G. Becker in 1907 for his bride, Chona Ortega. It's walls are 16" thick adobe. The wealthy Bacas & Ortegas ran large herds of cattle & sheep on vast tracts of land in Concho, St. Johns & The R.V. area.
Begun as missions in the late 1800's, Community Presbyterian Church here, and St. Peter's, a block east, moved into these permanent homes built respectively of brick (1918) & adobe (1928).
These log structures built by Thompson, a Danish convert to Mormonism, are Round Valley's oldest surviving buildings (1879). The cabin hosted the first Mormon services in Springerville.
Due south rises the 3rd tallest peak in AZ, revered by conservationist, Aldo Leopold Escudilla was home to Ike Clanton of OK Corral fame & Arizona's last grizzly bear. In fall, the north slope is golden with Aspen covering the 23,000 acre fire of '51. To yo…
First cousin to famed "Texas John Slaughter", Peter Slaughter & his rough trailhands brought the first Texas cattle to the White Mtns. C.1881 & built his P Lazy S Ranch on the Black River. Pete is buried here with 3 sons & extended family.
This park contains buildings restored by the White Mtn. Historical Society. They preserve early settler Hispanic & Native American cultures, along with farming, forestry and ranching heritage.