Historical Marker Series

South Carolina: Anderson County Historical Association/Society

Showing results 1 to 10 of 15
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM5A4_confederate-skirmish_Williamston-SC.html
On May 1, 1865, cadets from the Arsenal Academy at Columbia, under Capt. John Peyre Thomas, who were en route from Greenville to Newberry to be disbanded, met a band of Stoneman's raiders near here in one of the last engagements of the war, which had begun …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM5B6_big-creek-baptist-church_Williamston-SC.html
One of the oldest congregations and the mother of several others in Anderson County, it was organized in 1788 by Elder Moses Holland who served as pastor for 41 years. Dr. James Bruton Gambrell's mother was a member here. Soldiers of five wars lie buried in…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM624_good-hope-church_Iva-SC.html
Oldest Presbyterian Churchin continuous existencein Anderson County.Organized in 1789.First pastor, Rev. John Simpson.Congregation worshipped at threesites nears Generostee Creek,three miles west of Iva.Old cemetery at third site.Sanctuary built in Iva in 1…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM652_farmers-hall_Pendleton-SC.html
Built 1826-1828Home ofPendleton Farmers Society.Organized 1815.Within this hallThomas Green Clemson,one of the Society's presidents,first discussed with its membersthe plans for the funding ofClemson College
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM65S_pendleton_Pendleton-SC.html
On April 8, 1790, the Justices of the Peace for Pendleton County purchased this land to establish the courthouse town of Pendleton. Once Cherokee Indian land, the town became the judicial, social and commercial center for what now are Anderson, Oconee and P…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM66O_printer-john-miller_Pendleton-SC.html
This London newspaper publisher and defender of a free press emigrated to Charleston in 1783 where he served as state printer and publisher of the first daily newspaper in South Carolina. Later in Pendleton he founded Miller's Weekly Messenger the first Up …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM6RQ_university-hill_Anderson-SC.html
Three educational institutions have been in this immediate area: Johnson Female University (1856-63) named for William Bullein Johnson; the Carolina Collegiate Institute (about 1866-90) under W. J. Ligon; and Patrick Military Institute (1887-1900), J. B. Pa…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM6VP_anderson-the-electric-city_Anderson-SC.html
Front:Anderson was dubbed "The Electric City" in 1895 when William C. Whitner, an engineer and native of Anderson, built a hydroelectric power plant which was the first in the South to transmit electricity over long distances. The plant, in McFall's Mill at…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM6VR_portman-shoals_Anderson-SC.html
Half mile West on Seneca Riverthe Portman Shoals Power Plant,built by William C. Whitner,began in 1897 the transmissionof high-voltage electricity overthe longest lines then in use forthat purpose in the United States.The success of this plant,now owned by …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM6XB_high-shoals_Anderson-SC.html
2.9 miles south on Rocky RiverAnderson Water, Light, & Power Co.,organized in 1894 byWilliam C. Whitner,was successful the next yearin transmitting electricity overthe distance of six milesto Anderson.This achievement was a heraldof the industrial revolutio…
PAGE 1 OF 2