Historical Marker Series

New Jersey: Sussex County Board of Chosen Freeholders

Showing results 1 to 10 of 32
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM520_newton-green_Newton-NJ.html
The Courthouse Yard was a central part of landowner Jonathan Hampton's Town Plot in 1762. It was used for political meetings, corporal punishment, militia trainings, public entertainments, and a common pasture. Until 1858 voters in township elections indica…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHHY_goldsmith-maid_Wantage-NJ.html
Here in the Clove in 1857 a filly of Hambletonian lineage was foaled on the farm of John B. Decker. When fully grown, a bay standardbred mare 15 hands, she was bought by Alden Goldsmith of Washingtonville, NY and won her first harness race at Goshen on Sept…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHHZ_cat-swamp-hijacking-and-murder_Byram-Township-NJ.html
In this area, on Cat Swamp Hill in Byram Township, at about 6:00 a.m. on June 14, 1921, the Sussex Print Silk truck was hijacked. Albert Koster drove onto the scene on his motorcycle, was mistaken for a state trooper, and murdered. The gang escaped with $11…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHJE_hainesville-new-jersey_Sandyston-NJ.html
The original name of "Sandyston" was changed to honor N.J. Governor Haines in 1845. This hamlet was created on a 1,000 acre plot purchased from the Gardner Tract by Simon Courtright before the Revolutionary War. Ownership passed to Peter Hotalen, then John …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHJF_the-westbrook-bell-house_Sandyston-NJ.html
Johannes Westbrook, who was among the earliest permanent settlers of the Minisink region, built this homestead around the year 1701. It was subsequently fortified when incidents of hostility increased between the residents of New York and New Jersey during …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHJG_brick-house-village_Montague-Township-NJ.html
This central hamlet for Montague, a township created in 1759, was named for the Brick House Hotel - a colonial tavern, hostelry and stage coach stop built in the 1700's. It sat at the convergence of two turnpikes with Old Mine Road and near the Delaware Riv…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHJU_amity-school_Byram-Township-NJ.html
The Amity School was built in 1840, and in continuous use until June 1936. When it was built, Byram Township included part of current Sparta Township, and all of Stanhope and Hopatcong Boroughs. Stanhope Road did not reach from Green Road to Tomahawk Lake. …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHJV_augusta-hill-baptists_Frankford-NJ.html
In 1750, several families left the Congregational Church of Mansfield, CT relocating to New Jersey with William Marsh, their spiritual leader. Building a log meeting house here, they associated with the Baptist faith in 1750. As the church prospered, member…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHK6_branchville-nj_Branchville-NJ.html
On or about the year 1690 William H. Beemer settled here on 1,000 acres of land and built the first mill. James Haggerty purchased this land in 1793 and built additional successful mills lending the area the name known as "Brantown" due to the many mills lo…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHK7_casper-shafer_Newton-NJ.html
Casper Shafer, a German emigrant settled this area circa 1742. By 1750, he built this stone house, later fortifying it with a stockade during the French and Indian War. His first grist mill, built 1743, was located upstream, replacing it in 1764 with a larg…
PAGE 1 OF 4