Massachusetts: Massachusetts Bay Colony—Tercentenary Commission Markers
Showing results 1 to 10 of 154
Near this spot stood the ancient oak known as Jethro's Tree beneath which Major Simon Willard and his associates bought from the Indians the "6 myles of land square" ordered by the General Court for the Plantation of Concord September 12, 1635.
This short stretch of street still known as the milldam was the site of an Indian fishing weir and was laid out along the dam built soon after the settlement of the town in 1635.
Eunice Williams, wife of the Reverend John Williams "The Redeemed Captive," was killed at this place on March 1, 1704, during the Deerfield massacre.
Formerly part of Lynn,called Lynn Village, set off as a separate town 1664.
From which the town derived its name. The Indian word first written Satuit or Seteat, meaning cold brook, was changed in 1640 to Scituate.
Samuel Lincoln, ancestor of President Abraham Lincoln, and one of the eight early settlers of Hingham bearing that name, purchased this land in 1649. Seven generations of Lincoln descendants lived here.
At Number 21 Linnaean Street is the Cooper-Austin House built in 1657 at what was then the northern end of the Cambridge Cow Common, by John Cooper, selectman, town clerk, and deacon of the church.
The road to Captain Cooke's grist mill, built in 1638; the first water mill in this vicinity.
Built by Martha, widow of William Russell, about 1680. Occupied until 1890 by her descendants, of whom Jason Russell lost his life in the conflict of April 19, 1775.
Settled before 1673, a town in 1680, divided by the New Hampshire - Massachusetts boundary, the northern part becoming Nashua, New Hampshire in 1741.