Historical Marker Series

Arizona: The Presidio Trail

Showing results 1 to 10 of 24
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHDI_hiram-s-stevens-house_Tucson-AZ.html
Hiram Sanford Stevens came west as a soldier, settling in Tucson in 1856. Three years later, he married Petra Santa Cruz, great granddaughter of a Spanish Pioneer. In 1865 the couple built this residence, which featured an aviary, orchard, carriage …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHDT_plaza-militar_Tucson-AZ.html
Once an open space, this area was within the original Spanish presidio. The plaza was probably named in the Mexican years (1821-1854), when soldiers drilled here. Saddle horses for the troops were stabled along the north side, next to the presidio wall. Hou…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHF5_la-casa-cordova_Tucson-AZ.html
This adobe house incorporates portions of one of the oldest standing structures in Tucson. The two west rooms are believed to have been built before the Gadsden Purchase of 1854. Four front rooms were added in 1879. The house was named for Maria Navarett…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHFH_plaza-de-las-armas_Tucson-AZ.html
The largest plaza within the Spanish presidio of San Agustin del Tucson, founded in 1775, this area was originally used for military formations and drill. After construction of the first Pima County courthouse (1870), the name was changed to Court Plaza. He…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHIQ_edward-nye-fish-house_Tucson-AZ.html
E.N. Fish came to Arizona as an enterprising merchant in 1865. Three years later he built this adobe house which served as the family residence for the next half century. Fish developed many successful businesses and his wife Maria was prominent in public e…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHJK_allande-footbridge_Tucson-AZ.html
Memorial to Pedro Allande, first resident commander of the Royal Presidio of Tucson and energetic captain of the Mexican Dragoons, regular Spanish army. Near this site he was wounded severely in his right leg during the attack of May 1, 1782, by 600 warrior…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHJL_the-first-presbyterian-church-in-tucson_Tucson-AZ.html
On this site stood the first Presbyterian Church, and the second Protestant Church in Arizona. It was organized in 1874 for Presbyterian Missions in the Territories by the Reverend Sheldon Jackson and constructed by the Reverend J. A. Anderson, with financi…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHK3_temple-of-music-and-art_Tucson-AZ.html
This cultural center was built through the efforts of the Saturday Morning Music Club. The grand opening October 28, 1927, starred violinist Jascha Heifetz. Many world-renowned artists followed upon the stage and in the galleries while local talent also gav…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHKH_n-e-corner-adobe-wall-of-spanish-presidio-of-tucson_Tucson-AZ.html
N.E. CornerAdobe Wall of SpanishPresidio of Tucson Marked 1926 by D.A.R.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMHKI_s-e-corner-adobe-wall-of-spanish-presidio-of-tucson_Tucson-AZ.html
This disc marks the southeast corner of the old adobe wall that protected Tucson from the Indians in the early days - prior to 1845 Moved to this location in 1955
PAGE 1 OF 3