First Settlement and SchoolhouseDavid Stearns, the first permanent settler, built a log cabin near this site on the "Ridge" (Lorain Road) in 1816. Stearns was given this land by his father, Elijah, who had bought 1,002 acres from the Olmsted family. This area of North Olmsted was first called Kingston, renamed Lennox in 1823, and Olmsted in 1829. In 1827, Stearns donated his cabin to the community to be used as the first schoolhouse. In 1852 the cabin was moved to Butternut and Dover Center and continued to serve as a school.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Series||This marker is part of the Ohio: Ohio Historical Society series|
|Placed By||North Olmsted Landmarks Commission and The Ohio Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 27th, 2014 at 5:25pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 420733 N 4584119|
|Decimal Degrees||41.40471667, -81.94833333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 41° 24.283', W 81° 56.9'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||41° 24' 16.98" N, 81° 56' 54.00" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||216, 440|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 29624 Lorain Rd, North Olmsted OH 44070, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|