Known as the Alabama College Laboratory School, Montevallo High School was housed in Reynolds' Hall on the University of Montevallo campus from 1922 until January 1930 when the central portion of this building was completed. The original structure contained 9 classrooms and housed grades 7-12. The class of 1933 had 35 graduates. Around 1940, the Works Progress Administration constructed the building's wings. The structure was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. In 1964, a gymnasium was added and later dedicated to long-time teacher and 1933 MHS graduate Susie Dement in 1978.
The school first fielded a football team in 1930. Coached by Leon Hicks, the first game was played against Piper - Coleanor HS, the longest serving coach has been Theron K. Fisher (1947-1966) for whom the stadium was named in 1977. The blue and orange school colors were adopted circa 1936. In 1969-1970, MHS and the African-American Prentice HS merged.
One of the earliest schools resembling a modern high school was the Montevallo Male & Female Collegiate Institute incorporated in 1858 and operated by the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. However, not until the opening of the Alabama Girls Industrial Institute (later Alabama College and now University of Montevallo) in 1896 and the creation of a training school for prospective teachers did a contemporary high school exist in Montevallo. Classes were conducted in a wooden structure on the Alice Boyed Building site beginning in 1906. The high school was housed in the Jeter Building from 1915-1920 and then moved to a building where Palmer Hall now stands from 1920-1922. In 1922, the high school was moved to Reynold's Hall. Dr. M. L. Orr served as High School Director for many years and was a leading advocate for progressive education and cooperation between the town. Girl's Institute and the Shelby County Board of Education in the operation of Montevallo High School.
Researched by Katie Gothard.
Erected by the MHS Class of 1952. Emily Vest Pendleton, President.