U. S. A.
Sixth Army Corps.
Major Gen. W. B. Franklin, Commanding
(September 14, 1862)
The Sixth Corps consisted of two Divisions commanded by Major Generals H. W. Slocum and W. F. Smith. On the march of the Army of the Potomac through Maryland, this Corps with Couch's Division, Fourth Corps, temporarily attached, formed the left of the advancing line. It moved through Tennallytown, Darnestown, Poolesville and Barnesville, reaching Buckeystown, west of the Monocacy, 12 miles southwest of this, on the evening of September 13. Under orders to force Crampton's Pass and seize Rohrersville in order to cut off McLaws from the main body of the Army of Northern Virginia and to relieve Harpers Ferry, the Corps moved early on the morning of the 14th, passed through Jefferson and reached the outskirts of Burkittsville at noon. At 3 p.m., Slocum and Smith advanced, drove Munford's Cavalry and Mahone's Infantry from the foot of the mountain and through this Pass and overthrew Cobb's Brigade in the vicinity, taking many prisoners. The Infantry Brigades retreated to Brownsville and the Cavalry to Rohrersville. Semmes' Brigade abandoned Brownsville Pass and joined Cobb and Mahone. The Corps advanced into Pleasant Valley on the evening of the 14th where it remained until the morning of the 17th when it marched for the field of Antietam.