This plantation was a Crown grant to Captain John McIntosh, a British Army officer who served in Florida during the War with Spain. Later, when this officer went into the Indian country, his brother, the eccentric Captain Roderick (Rory) McIntosh, with their sister, Miss Winnewood McIntosh, occupied the home which was built upon this bluff in the 1760`s. The exploits of the redoubtable Rory have filled pages of pre-Revolutionary Georgia history.
After the Revolution, Mallow became the property of Captain William McIntosh, a son of Captain John. He, too, was a British Army officer, and was the father of the Indian Chief, General William McIntosh.
Early in the 19th century, Mallow was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Reuben King, and they were living here when the plantation was raided by forces from a Federal gunboat anchored in nearby Sapelo River, in November, 1862.