The Moultrie County Courthouse was dedicated November 12, 1906. It was authorized by the citizens in February 1904, designed by Deal & Ginzel, Lincoln, IL and built by H. B. Walter, Danville, IL for $87,000, including furnishings. It is 75 feet by 90 feet and 112 feet to the top of the dome. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on April 20, 1995.
The second Courthouse was completed in 1866 by S. W. Conn, Shelbyville, IL for $21,000. It was brick, 50 feet square and 68 feet to the top of the cupola. It was paid for by the sale of the county "swamp Land", now some of the most productive farmland in Illinois.
The first Courthouse was completed in 1848 for $2,800. It was brick and 38 feet square. It burned on November 25, 1864 destroying most of the county records. Abraham Lincoln practiced law in this Courthouse.
Pictures of the first and second Moultrie County Courthouses are below the marker.