Erected to the memory of Mabel Tainter, daughter of lumberman Andrew L. Tainter and his wife Bertha, and given to area citizens on July 3, 1890, the Memorial reflects advanced American architectural, social, educational and religious thought of the era. Designer Harvey Ellis, in the employ of St. Paul architect L.S. Buffington, created this important and sophisticated structure of local sandstone in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. Carvings, stenciling, leaded glass, brass and mar?ble grace the interior, with a strong Moorish influence evident in the design of the ornate auditorium.
The Memorial provided the community a reading room and library, club rooms, and an auditorium. It also served as the home of the original Menomonie Unitarian Society, whose minister, Henry Doty Maxson, inspired the Tainters to have it built as a center dedicated to the city's moral and social welfare. The Mabel Tainter Memorial continues to provide a cultural and educational focus for the entire community.