The first County Seat of Telfair County, Jacksonville, was named for General Andrew Jackson and incorporated in 1815. In the early 19th century, a courthouse was erected near the site of the present Methodist Church. Jacksonville was an important point on the Blackshear Trail which followed the Altamaha and Ocmulgee rivers from Darien to Fort Hawkins. One of the county's three blockhouses was built nearby by General David Blackshear as a refuge and a house of thanksgiving. The center of a large and wealthy plantation economy, Jacksonville was a landing for freight and passenger traffic on the river before and for some years after the Civil War. In 1871, McRae became the County Seat. Among the distinguished early settlers of Jacksonville were General John E. Coffee, soldier, pioneer surveyor, member of Congress, and General Mark Willcox, a state legislator and soldier in the Indian Wars. Each of these men has a county in Georgia named for him. Other pioneer residents included the McRae, Clements, Hatton, and Pridgen families.
Re-erected by the Georgia Historical Society and the Pioneer Historical Society in 2017