This town, established in 1823, grew up around a store owned by Matthew Young (1803-1876), who was also postmaster 1831-43. It was first called Pressly's Station, for the post office opened in 1823 with David Pressly (1764-1834) as postmaster. The town was renamed Rocky River in 1831 and then Lowndesville in 1836 for William Lowndes (1782-1822), U.S. Congressman 1811-22.
Lowndesville, incorporated in 1839, had about 150 inhabitants for most of its history. Cotton was the major crop in the area, with bales ginned here and shipped by the Charleston & Western Railway. In 1890 the town included a hotel, nine general stores, a grocery, a dry goods store, a drugstore, a stable, and three saw mills.