On the night of Dec. 4, 1864, Hq. Military Division of the Mississippi, Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, USA, and Hq. 17th Corps, Maj. Gen. F.P. Blair, USA were established at this point, 1 miles NE of Cameron (Station No. 5-1/2, CRR) and 1 mile S of Paris Hill Academy.
Hq. Right Wing (Howard) and Hq. 15th Corps (Osterhaus) were across the Ogeechee River beyond Cameron. Hq. Left Wing (Slocum) and Hq. 20th Corps (Williams) were on the Middle Ground road S of Sylvania. Hq. 14th Corps was near Jacksonboro, on the old Augusta-Savannah road N of Sylvania.
Next day, Gen. Sherman advanced to Oliver where a Confederate Force was entrenching.