In the 1850's, Horatio Gates Livermore and later his sons, Horatio P. and Charles E. pioneered the development of ditches and dams on the American River for industry and agriculture. One historic result was Folsom Power House, which began operations in July 1895. Power was delivered to Sacramento at 11,000 volts, which was a new achievement in long distance high voltage transmission. The capital celebrated by a grand electric carnival September 9, 1895.
The original generating plant, still in place, remained in continuous operation until 1952.
The plant was donated by Pacific Gas and Electric Co. to the State of California to preserve its historical values.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 633
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in Cooperation with the Sacramento Section, American Institute of Electric Engineers
August 22, 1958.