Hammond General HospitalHammond General Hospital, openedat Point Lookout, Maryland, inAugust 1862, was named for Surgeon General William A. Hammond. The massive structure, builtto accommodate 1,400 amen, was set on piles about two to three feetabove ground and covered nearlyall the area between the PotomacRiver and the Chesapeake Bay. It was well over 500 feet in diameter and had 16 wings, each 175 by25 feet, radiating out from an open central area like the spokes of agiant wheel. One wing containedthe hospital offices, and the others were wards. A covered circular walkway connected all the wings at the center. Within the central hub stood four buildings measuring 77 Feet by 25 feet: the chapel, half-diet kitchen, library and reading room, and baggage room. An elevated20,000-gallon water tank, l6 feet in diameter and 30 feet, high, occupiedthe center of the hub when completed in late spring 1863. Its purpose was to flood the hospital in theevent of fire. The hospital officially closed its doors in August 1865, andall the structures were soon sold,demolished, or auctioned.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Series||This marker is part of the Maryland Civil War Trails series|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 14th, 2014 at 10:19am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 383986 N 4211044|
|Decimal Degrees||38.03970000, -76.32206667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 2.382', W 76° 19.324'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 2' 22.92" N, 76° 19' 19.44" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||240, 301|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 10350 Point Lookout Rd, Lexington Park MD 20653, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|