July 3, 1864. Gen. J. E. Johnston's army (CS) withdrew from Kennesaw Mtn. & occupied a double line of field-works which crossed the R. R. at old Smyrna Camp Ground, facing N. W. Loring's A. C. was on the rt. (N. E. of R. R.); Hardee's, at center; Hood's on left, near Ruff's Mill, Nickajack Cr.
July 4. The 4th A. C. (US), (E. of R. R.), attacked the Confederate right to ascertain strength of the position; it was found impregnable. A similar attack on the left near Ruff's Mill was alike ineffective. Being outflanked, Johnston withdrew to his River Line that night.
July 6. The 23d A. C. (US), moving from Ruff's Mill to Soap Creek, camped just E. of the R. R.