Hood's Division, Longstreet's Command,
Brigadier General John B. Hood, Commanding.
(September 17, 1862.)
About 7 a.m. of the 17th, Hood's Division moved out of the woods surrounding the Dunkard Church, crossed the Hagerstown Pike a few yards north of the church and, advancing in a northly direction, relieved the Brigades of Lawton, Hays and Trimble of Ewell's Division, and became heavily engaged with troops of the First Corps Army of the Potomac. Its left Brigade (Wofford's) rested on the Hagerstown Pike, its right Brigade (McLaw's) extended into the East Woods. It was engaged on the line now marked by this road, and finally advanced to the north edge of Miller's cornfield (305 yards north of this) and to the east edge of the East Woods where it was checked and, after a severe contest, involving heavy losses on both sides, was compelled to retire to the woods from which it had advanced.